RIP Leonard Nimoy

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

Very sad day. I have always enjoyed Mr. Nimoy's work. Especially on Star Trek. I also have vivid memories of listening to his taped voice as he narrated projector filmstrips about the universe and other scientific topics while at school. I found this Buick related article just now. I have seen the pictures before but never heard the story. Make sure you scroll down the article and watch the Youtube video. Very funny! Rest in peace my friend.

http://jalopnik.com/kirk-once-stole-spocks-buick-riviera-1688491655

"Mr. Spock" and Nimoy seemed to be a classy, with "restrained elegance", sort of person, which would be a perfect match for that first-gen Riviera. Sometimes, it was amusing to see Dr. Spock keep Kirk/Shatner focused on the Enterprise's ultimate purpose in particular situations. Those "hidden" one-liners were great. "Spock has spoken", it seemed, and that was how it was. A great actor, a neat person, that also drove a Buick. Thanks for those memories, Dr. Spock!

Thanks for that link!

Live Long and Prosper __\\\///

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

"Dr. Spock" and Nimoy seemed to be a classy, with "restrained elegance", sort of person, which would be a perfect match for that first-gen Riviera. Sometimes, it was amusing to see Dr. Spock keep Kirk/Shatner focused on the Enterprise's ultimate purpose in particular situations. Those "hidden" one-liners were great. "Spock has spoken", it seemed, and that was how it was. A great actor, a neat person, that also drove a Buick. Thanks for those memories, Dr. Spock!

Thanks for that link!

Live Long and Prosper __\\\///

NTX5467

DR SPOCK?????? NO...... that was a well known pediatrician and author.

Lenard Nimoy was Mr Spock.

Sorry for that indiscretion, now corrected. I did watch Star Trek, Lost in Space, Man From Uncle, Batman, and other such shows back then. I'm also a part of the "Dr. Spock" generation, too. There was a funny skit on SNL, when it was "Saturday Night Live", about a group of NBC executives who (I believe) cancelled "Star Trek". They were "lost in space" in a gold 1968 Imperial, which came up on The Enterprise's video board.

LLAP,

NTX5467

I think it wasn't "Mr. Spock", just "Spock", much as period literature talks about "Model T", not "the Model T".

Just read an interesting article that his famous double Vee, split finger, greeting, is actually the shape of the Yiddish letter Shin, and is part of a secret Jewish blessing ritual......

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

The double "V" that Spock used was the hand sign of the Kohanim, the Jews who were the descendants of the priestly class from the Temple of Solomon. If you ever take a walk in an older Jewish cemetery, you will see this sign on some of the tombstones.

I always wondered if Nimoy came up with this from his own childhood, or if it was written into the show.

I hope he enjoyed his Riviera.

It apparently came from his childhood, and it was he who offered it as a possibility to the writers of the show when a Vulcan greeting was being discussed. I think it's great that he was into old cars too! So in real life it would have been "live long and prosper and drive a Buick" !!!