Running rough ?

Guest Morrie

Hi

I have a 1928 Essex super six that I built from a rolling chassis a few years ago. I have recently had an issue with it starting fine but then running very rough with foot on accelerator then not at all with foot off , on the way to a show on the weekend it broke down for the first time ever.

I am thinking it is either vacuum tank, carb or a problem with the electrics - I have seen other posts on this forum that indicate the same. Appreciate any advice anyone has to where I should start or any ideas as to most likely cause of the issues.

Question 2 is that I am trying to identify what make vacuum tank my car has - I have seen a lot with Stewart tanks but mine is not the same - struggling to find info on what it may be. On mine the outer tank is around 5 inches in diameter, has an inner tank approx 2.5 inches round by 5 inches long with a conical shaped float; the float is stainless steel and has a rod with T shape hook on the top ; with two needle valves on the cap (one for fuel and one for vacuum) the inner tank has a flapper valve on the bottom.

Thanks - this is first post and really looking forward to being part of this forum.

Morrie - Outside Sydney Australia ;)

Hi mate,

Does your vac tank look like the pictures below? If so it is a Stewart Warner unfortunately I can't help with what model it is but maybe someone else can. As for your running rough problem first thing I would check is the plugs possibly even replace them. Failing that I would check the fuel filter (if one has been fitted) and the fuel lines make sure plenty of fuel is getting to the carby.

Cheers, Tristan.

post-76059-143142989464_thumb.jpg

post-76059-143142989461_thumb.jpg

You have a very active group of Hudson owners in Australia, and many of their cars are of your era. http://www.hudson-amc.org.au/ If you're in the club, have you tried calling or e-mailing fellow members to get their insight on this? They may also be able to help I.D. that vacuum tank. For example, perhaps the local Hudson distributor used a different tank when assembling the cars when they first arrived in pieces from America.

Guest Morrie

Thanks for your advice - I have spoken to members of my car club - we think it may be the distributor that is the problem - no luck with id'ing the vacuum tank as yet though.

cheers

Morrie

Thanks for your advice - I have spoken to members of my car club - we think it may be the distributor that is the problem - no luck with id'ing the vacuum tank as yet though.

cheers

Morrie

Could be that your vacuum tank float has a hole in it and it's sucking gas in through the vacuum line acting as uncontrolled fuel injection.