1930 Flathead straight 8

Guest joedepot24

Guest joedepot24

I believe this to be a 1930's straight 8 head. Does anyone know how to value this part, I do not need it and want to sell it.

This is a 27 bolt, 31 inches long, 7 1/2 inches wide and about 2 1/8 thick, date on the front is 8 31 1930. thanks

post-106933-143142988134_thumb.jpg

post-106933-143142987803_thumb.jpg

post-106933-143142988083_thumb.jpg

post-106933-14314298811_thumb.jpg

Edited by joedepot24
More information (see edit history)

Guest joedepot24

i searched some pictures and that is what it said. Sorry and thanks. It looks to be in good shape, I could not read the old duct tape label. It has distinct round circle on the side of the head, I thought I took pictures of that but may need to do that. Either way I hope some one could use it. thanks again.

I have seen similar heads offered at swap meets for $75 or thereabouts. If the head is straight, not warped, spark plug holes not stripped, not too rusty, someone should find a use for it, if you can find out what kind of car it fits.

Probably half the car makers of 1930 offered a straight eight flathead. They were a popular type of engine although, not as popular as the four cylinder or six cylinder engine.

Guest joedepot24

Well whatever it is, it looks to be in great shape, surface rust only. I will check all the spark plug holes and put a straight edge on it. It does not look like it has had any repairs. I am always amazed at 80+ year old parts. This one may be a good wall hanger, I will have the Model A club over in May, maybe someone there will know the part. Good stuff.

Guest joedepot24

Well, that would kinda make sense, the son said he worked on the old Packards also. I had a friend that moved to Florida last year and I bought alot of his old Packard paper and books. He also built a few of the 30's packards some 20 years ago and sold them both. Thanks I will research that area. I may have a book with this head in there. Thanks for the information.

The first Pontiac 8 came in 1932. It was a V8. Funny, the usual engine procession was for straight 8's to give way to V8's, but the Pontiac sequence was just the opposite.

i said eight, not V8, yes, 1932 pontiacs were available with their version of the oakland flathead V8. the plans were already in the works for the shutting down of oakland and renaming the division, the pontiac motor division. so the 1933 pontiac straight eight was the first 8 cylinder engine, of pontiac's own design. also, the straight 8 was a much quieter, and smoother running engine than that one year left over oakland V8 was.

Guest joedepot24

I have read all the responses, quite a lot. It sure looks like a Packard head, the it has 3 bolts for the distributor. I have looked at it again, the treads look goo also. I have paid more than that for ford heads, maybe I pay too much. I put it with my Ford V8 parts so maybe it will make those parts better. A lot of car swap meets this season and who knows. If nothing else I may paint it for a wall hanger, it looks to be made very well.

Not all of them. Some have uneven spaced spark plug holes. Don't know why there is a discrepancy. That is a new curiosity for me???

I think the big eights have the plugs evenly spaced and the standard eight has them in pairs. I had not noticed that myself until I looked at this one.

1932 and up heads have spark plugs arranged like this head also with the three bolt instead of four distributor mounting. It is NOT a seventh or eighth series head. Length measurement or part # can tell which but many earlier seventh and eighth series engines were retrofitted with these heads because they were higher compression (100 Lbs.) see my previous post. The photos from the internet provided here by others show these later heads on earlier engines. It makes no difference standard or deluxe on the head design, just the size. Your bolt count is correct and measurements are for a standard eight.

Edited by rcr (see edit history)

If it was magnufluxed and checked out it would be worth a bit more. I got $1,000 for a complete 31 engine a few years ago. They are not really made of gold.

If that was a Super Eight, someone got a really good buy (depending upon just how many years ago that was). Standard Eights don't bring much money at all. A standard eight head will be tough to find a buyer, but there might be someone out there who's interested in this high-compression version that "rcr" explains about. But, since a high-compression head from that era doesn't add much performance, and since most people don't seem to drive their cars much anymore........

Guest kaycee

Just guessing. Maybe a Marmon model 68 or newer flathead. My Little 8 and the model 78' s are overhead straight 8 overhead valve.

kaycee