First time Franklin owner, first of many questions

Guest mjgoist

Guest mjgoist

Hello all,

Some of you on here may know me, but for the ones that dont, a small introduction is in order. My name is Matt Goist, and I am a student at McPherson College in the Automotive Restoration Program. I am also an active member of the Franklin Club. I recently acquired my first Franklin, a 1931 151 Sedan, through the generosity of a fellow club member, with a promise to get it back on the road. I transported the Franklin out to school in Kansas where I have been working on it in my free time. A lot of the time thus far has been spent sorting out all of the parts I have and coming up with a plan. I recently have been working on fitting the cowl back onto the body, and this is where I am now, almost on, but having some troubles an curiosities in the bottom corners. It almost fits perfectly, but I am not sure if I need to cut out a section of the cowl for the bottom brackets on the wood jut like it is for the door hinges, or if I am missing something. Any advice big or small would be appreciated. Also, and advice in general, not just about the cowl. Thanks

Matt Goist

post-106633-143142986177_thumb.jpg

post-106633-143142986159_thumb.jpg

post-106633-143142986167_thumb.jpg

post-106633-143142986174_thumb.jpg

Hi Matt -

I only have a 153 available to compare and the details are different, but:

I suspect the steel support showing in the photo at the cowl bottom was added? The cowl skin should lap the post edge from top to bottom. I think there is a problem with the under-door strip as well, since it extends beyond the pillar edge. The cowl skin needs to fit around the edge.

anyone with a 1929-31 standard sedan ( not 153) could take a few snapshots showing this detail. Or I just found a shot online- google 1930 Franklin Images and look for a car without side mounts, showing the cowl. I think I found the Phil Weisenbarger car, showing the detail.

I can send you a cropped image if you cannot find one.

Good luck!

Tom Rasmussen