My 33 PD engine

Reg Evans

After driving the old girl to town many times up and down hills and a brief stint on the freeway to get to my favorite restaurant ........ Oh, and after giving her a compression test I am wondering if she needs a rebuild or a 230 transplant. The original engine is a 189c.i. rated at 70 hp when new. With the compression showing about 80psi per cylinder I'm wondering if a rebuild would result in much more umph than now. I got a quote for a complete rebuild kit from Oldpartssource on eBay and they want $1475 + shipping for the 189 c.I. engine !!!!! After paying for the machine work, the rebuild might approach or exceed $3K.

I have a good running 230 from around 1955 sitting on my garage floor that could go in the car but I'm not sure exactly what is involved in converting to the later flat 6.

Anybody know what's involved ? Tod ?

That would be great Tod. Then someone else may have something to add.

Okay, repost then. :)

Basically, the later 23" Plymouth or Dodge blocks should bolt in but the issue is with the clearance for the starter as the '35 and later blocks are wider as they have the full length water jacket. Solutions I've heard of for that include grinding the side of the starter or machining the bell housing to move the starter location. There may be other issues if you get into the 1950s engines, but I think for a '30s or '40s engine that should be about it.

If you want to simply get more power out of a '33 block, put in the '34 through '41 crank and rods to turn it from a 190 cu. in. into a 201 cu. in. engine. And/or get the aluminum high(er) 6.5 compression head. Should take you from the stock 70 BHP up to 82 BHP if you believe the numbers they published back in the 1930s.