Is It OK to Fall in Love with Your Insurance Company?

oldcarfudd

I’m posting this to the AACA, HCCA and MTFCA websites.

I had to make a quick overnight trip from NJ to Waynesboro, VA last Sunday with an expected return Monday. About 50 miles from Waynesboro my 2004 VW Touareg shed a drive belt that disabled the alternator and power steering. I kept going on battery ignition, watching the voltage drop. I got to my motel on the last gasp of the battery; by then the ABS, air bags and most everything else except the engine had shut down. I did my business, then set about arranging a flat-bed tow to the nearest VW dealer when they opened for business Monday morning.

I called AAA. “Due to the recent severe weather, you may wait a long time for someone to answer the phone.” I waited 20 minutes, then started calling local towing numbers. On Sunday evening? Oh, well. Then I called Hagerty. I have their antique towing service. I told them I wasn’t driving one of my antiques, but asked whether they use could any contacts to find me a tow. The very nice lady in Texas said she’d be glad to provide help as “Member Assistance”. Within a half hour she’d called my back with a tow she’d arranged, and a reasonable price. The next morning Hagerty called to confirm the arrangement. The tow truck arrived sooner than had been promised, and everything went swimmingly after that. Hagerty even called me again to be sure the tow driver had shown up and was performing. VW was able to fix my car, and I was back in NJ only about 3-1/2 hours after I’d have been home had my car not had a problem.

Did I happen to mention that I was very pleased with Hagerty?

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder, Morristown, NJ

When I purchased my 1932 Franklin I was 26 years old. I excitedly called JC Taylor to get insurance on it, as my father had a policy with them for thirty years. I was told that I could not buy a policy with them since I had not been a licensed driver for ten years. I argued every way I could think, but they weren't going to budge.

I called Hagerty, and they were happy to have me as a customer, and they will have me as a customer for the foreseeable future.

My understanding was the Hagerty towing insurance applies to all owned vehicles, not just the insured antique/classic? Am I wrong about that?

Yes and no.

[h=2]Are your roadside service plans only for my collector cars?[/h] It depends. Hagerty Plus® 10-mile and 50-mile plans cover only your collector vehicles. The 125-mile plan covers all of your household vehicles. Trailer coverage is included in the 50-mile and 125-mile plans. Plus, anyone who drives the car may call for assistance — we do not restrict our plans to a specific driver.*

[h=2]What is not included in my Hagerty Plus® benefit allowance?[/h] The following services are excluded from your benefit allowance*:

• Shuttle or convenience tows; tows from one shop to another
  • Any parts such as new batteries or replacement tires, wires, plugs, etc.
  • Automotive fluids other than gasoline, such as oil, coolant, etc.
  • Repair labor such as tune-ups, tire balancing, wheel alignment, radiator installation, etc.
  • Recovery of a vehicle from a natural disaster, a vehicle submerged in water or a vehicle on an unmaintained road. Please note: Winching a vehicle over 100 feet off a maintained road is not covered.
  • Vehicles in excess of 8,000 pounds gross vehicle weight are restricted and are only eligible for the 10-mile plan.
  • Mileage in excess of your benefit level allowance.
  • A tow needed as a result of a collision or vandalism. These services are generally covered by your comprehensive or collision insurance coverage where applicable, and are therefore not covered by your benefit allowance. However, you still may call 888-310-8020 to have service dispatched. Please note: You are responsible for payment and may obtain reimbursement as part of your insurance claim process.

[h=2]Does your roadside service plan cover me if I run out of gas?[/h] Up to three gallons of fuel will be delivered to you, free of charge, as part of the roadside service program. The cost of additional fuel beyond that amount will be an out-of-pocket expense.*

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder, Morristown, NJ

The amazing thing is not just that Hagerty is a great company, agreed, but that your Touareg is still running. Based on your recommendation I went out and bought a diesel touareg, and what a great vehicle it is. Youve abused yours terribly, as you do all your cars, and yet it still wants to serve you. Just amazing.

so here's to Hagerty and Touareg.

Alex

Gee, Alex, you're always so complimentary! The Touareg is going on 12 years old and is starting to be a bit tired. I hadn't wanted to trade it, but new ones aren't getting any cheaper and I'm not getting any new sources of income. So I'll probably trade it for a turbo-diesel Touareg this year. If it lasts the same 12 years as the first one, I'll be 90, and I probably won't be looking for a third one.

Last summer John Linderman and I shared a ride out to the New London-New Brighton tour in Minnesota. We took my one-cylinder Cadillac and his big Stanley touring car, plus all the paraphernalia needed to campaign in a Stanley. We took my trailer, because it was long enough, and pulled it with his big Ford 250 diesel truck, because it was strong enough. The whole way out and back I was wishing I had the Touareg; that truck was a bloody pig, and needed constant little corrections to stay in lane. The Touareg tracks perfectly, but it's limited to pulling 7,700 pounds, and we were quite a bit over that.

Enjoy the Kerrville convention. I've got serious old-car withdrawal issues, both cars and people. I was about to drive out to the annual Meeting of the Susquehanna Valley Regional Group, but they just now called to cancel because - surprise! - it's snowing. So my fix has to wait a bit longer.

Gil the Elder

Gee, Alex, you're always so complimentary!

I bought my Toureg used, with 30,000 miles on it, but still expensive. I like the diesel. Very quiet, very powerful, and I Only have to fill the tank every 500 miles or so. It pulls my aluminum flatbed with the 27 boat tail Franklin on it without the slightest problem. Of course this is Florida. I could probably pull the same rig with a Corolla. Up north I drive an F-250 diesel that works just fine, but not nearly as comfortable as the Touareg.

Ill be in Kerrville for a day, just for the meeting, then back in Sarasota for a Florida HCCA tour. I assume that I'll see you in Masschusetts at the end of June?

I can't say enough good things about Hagerty as an insurance company and as an educational foundation for future collectors. Their "Save the Manual" Driving Experience and their Youth Judging Program are the best. I would advocate participating in any of their programs.