Is it the sending unit or fuel gauge

Guest ZenMaster

Guest ZenMaster

HI,

I am a newbie to the Chevrolet Forum so I hope this post makes sense. I have a 1969 Z28 Camaro that has something going on with either the fuel sending unit or dash fuel gauge (Center type). With about 5 gallons of fuel in the tank, it registers just over 1/2 a tank with the key off and moves to way past full with the key on. Any ideas about what is causing this malfunction would be greatly appreciated. I have not taken anything apart yet as I was hoping to get y our advice first.

Thank you,

Larry

Having experienced gauge troubles on both my '59 Chevy and '65 Mustang the answers were nobody has ever run across a bad gauge.

It's always the sender or an electrical problem and they were right.

I don't know if this will be helpful about a '69 though....... :confused:

You might want to ask at Chevy Talk >>> http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/portal/index.php?

The sending unit provides the ground for the gauge through a variable resistor. Since the gauge moves to full, most likely the wire from the gauge to the sending unit is grounding to the body somewhere in between. Usually, when a sending unit goes out, the gauge reads empty because there is no ground supplied through the sending unit.