1947 Convertible Restoration - Owner LOST the VIN plate

Ovalrace25

Car has been in his family a real LONG time- He has title and old registration paperwork to back up the numbers. But in doing a total restoration over several years now cant remember where he put the I.D. plates for safe keeping.. Does anyone make reproductions of these? I always got to the Pulfer and Williams catalog to look, but they don't list this plate. The numbers are raised and not stamped, so I suppose it has to be ordered from someone that can do it correctly.

Any Help?post-46235-143142984238_thumb.jpg

If the car was registered in California for a long time, there is a good chance that the "pink slip" actually has the Engine Number listed and not what we now call the VIN number. I live in CA and as long as the engine number and pink slip numbers match you should be OK. I havnt had problems registering cars with matching paper / engine numbers.

• Like 1

As long as the car does not change ownership, you should be able to get license plates with the current paperwork. If the engine numbers don't match then take everything to the state and hope they will issue a new identification number that they will put on the car.

It will probably be hard to do all this, but if one of my cars were stolen, I would hope it would be a little harder than putting new numbers on a car to match a title for a car that no longer exists.

There is a gentleman that lists cowl tag reproduction In the Bugle classified section. A. G. Backeast. I have had him make tags for me and they are perfect reproductions. No cheap, but does excellent work.

Bob Engle

I have also had Mr. Backeast make a me a new data tag several years ago for my 51 Cadillac. I agree, he does excellent work and he guarantees satisfaction. I don't think he's too expensive.

• 7 months later...

DATA tag "Fisher Body Cowl Tag" is on the car. A.G. Backeast makes these, but this car has the original and is in great shape. What is missing is the actual VIN plate. The stainless steel NUMBER PLATE that was riveted to the body and is NEVER to be removed--- He removed it before the body went in to be stripped. NOW cant find it. Thought I had a picture of the one on his donor car, cant find it at the moment. But Buick Guys Will Know what this looks like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...