1929 pontiac air filter ( rock deflector)

Guest trdatisola

Guest trdatisola

I haven't been able to locate a air filter for the 1929 pontiac. If someone who has one could post a picture ,maybe I can use it to fabricate one for my use. Thanks to anyone who helps.

Guest trdatisola

Paul, Thanks for the pictures. I at least have the dimentions and think that I can fabricate one. It might not be exact copy but it will resemble the pictures and have the necessary internal parts.

That is not the factory original air filter on any 26-30 Pontiac that I have ever seen. It is the one for 31-32. Attached are two photos showing the correct one. I could get you a close up with dimensions tomorrow.post-31080-143142997075_thumb.jpg I do not think you could easily make one of these. If I didn't have one I would probably go to a motorcycle or speed shop and get something similar to the 31-32 type. This one has no straining medium in it. All it does is deflect the rocks.

post-31080-143142997069_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Tinindian - glad you posted the pictures. I have one somewhere, but couldn't find it to picture.

OP - for 1929, it is NOT an air cleaner; rather a flame arrestor. Basically it looks like half of a metal brassiere with a couple of metal straps to hold it in front of the air intake.

And the other one pictured does a good job of filtering small birds and large grasshoppers. Dust and dirt are a different story. Some of these came with no filtering media, with louvers that swirled the air to throw the dirt to the inside edge of the unit, and hole in the bottom for the dirt to drop out. Later they were filled with horsehair which one was supposed to wash in gasoline weekly and then lightly oil. Still later the horsehair was replaced with a course expanded metal similar to steel wool which was also to be washed and oiled weekly.

Jon.