1936 Desoto Deluxe

Guest nurse

I have inherited a '36 Deluxe. Complete car minus a couple broken tail lights and broken lower grill. Engine was rebuilt prior to storage 30+ years ago. I'm having a hard time finding information on the value of the car if I where to put it up for sale. It would need a full restoration. Hood and fenders are off and sanded down to bare metal and dents filled. Interior is 95% complete I would say, but of course needs redone. Any help of what I could sell it for? Thanks for your time and responses.

I looked at a '37 Pontiac Big 6 Coupe recently, been in a barn for 50 years, but with motor running, and in about condition of this DeSoto. Part of an estate, they were asking $5,000 Canadian (about $4,000 US funds) with no takers. I offered $2,000 but no deal. As I explainerd to them, someone who wants the car for restoration purposes is going to sink $15K-$20K minimum into a car that will likely never sell for more than $20K restored. So even if they get the " project car" for nothing, it is difficult to get one's money back. The unfortunate alternative is someone buying it for rodding purposes, removing the body, and selling off the spare parts. So my advice, if you want to see the car restored, find a dedicated MOPAR guy who restores these scarce cars and settle on a fair price, perhaps $3,000. If you don't care, then list it on eBay with a modest reserve ($3K-$4K) and see what happens. Don't expect many offers above $5K.

I'll add my two cents here and say that there a some of us who truly enjoy original cars, flaws and all. This doesn't look like a car that ever needed restoring. What a beautiful original interior! I would strive to get as close a paint match as I could for the fenders, get it running and enjoy it pretty much the way it is. My point being that, in the eyes of some of us, this isn't just a pile of parts that needs "complete restoring" and the interior doesn't necessarily "of course needs redone". Advertise it as for $3,200 and see what those who inquire about it have to say. Does the engine rotate, or is it stuck? Are the broken parts of the grille still there? There are skilled welders that can do wonders.

If you want to get the most exposure (to millions of people) for selling, go to Ebay. I know it is not much fun anymore, but Ebay will get you the people who are most interested in your car. I agree with the above comments in that the car looks to be a solid, mostly original car that could just use a re-assembly and paint matching to be a fun ride.

Look at Ebay "completed listings" on the 1936 DeSoto listings and see if any similar cars sold and what they sold for to give you a ballpark idea of possible worth.

I have inherited a '36 Deluxe. Complete car minus a couple broken tail lights and broken lower grill. Engine was rebuilt prior to storage 30+ years ago. I'm having a hard time finding information on the value of the car if I where to put it up for sale. It would need a full restoration. Hood and fenders are off and sanded down to bare metal and dents filled. Interior is 95% complete I would say, but of course needs redone. Any help of what I could sell it for? Thanks for your time and responses.

Submit your information to The National DeSoto Club at desotoadventures@gmail.com.

• 7 months later...

Love this car. I have the same car but I am missing all of the interior, all of the chrome, radiator shell and grille. I wish I had all of those things. I plan to street rod it since I don't have the drive train either. Hoping I can find all of those items.

• 3 weeks later...

The body and tailights look identical to the '36 Dodge cars. Interior is a little different as DeSoto was a lesser car line. Grille parts might be hard to find and expensive and I see it has a divided rear window. I agree that around $3,000 is about right. Cone13, you should buy it and use your car for extra parts. this one has all the parts you're missing! I had to buy 2 extra cars for my '36 Dodge!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...