How the heck can I remove the pan bolt on top of the starter???? GRRRRRR !!!!!

John_Mc

Guys, I'm at the end of my rope!!!! I'm removing the pan on the '37 Zephyr and CANNOT remove and can barely touch the single bolt on top of the starter. Is there a trick??? I was thinking that it would require the removal the round "can" at the back of the pan that the bendix goes into but I'm out of ideas. How is this bolt removed?????? Thanks!:mad:

Edited by John_Mc (see edit history)

Guys, I'm at the end of my rope!!!! I'm removing the pan on the '37 Zephyr and CANNOT remove and can barely touch the single bolt on top of the starter. Is there a trick??? I was thinking that it would require the removal the round "can" at the back of the pan that the bendix goes into but I'm out of ideas. How is this bolt removed?????? Thanks!:mad:

You did remove the starter didn't you That can is permanent part of oil pan do not remove.

Thank you, I found a small trap door under the carpet as yo suggested and got right to the bolt, thanks.

Now however I still can't remove the oil pan, it's jammed by the wish one which I've thiught would give enough clearance after the ball was removed but it still will not drop down far enough

You may have to lever and block the wishbone - ball down about a foot, use a small bottle or scissor jack. Have a look inside pan with torch[flashlight] crankshaft web / journal can catch pan, also pull up and tie oil float. You can turn crank at front pulley, may need to remove spark plugs. Good luck.

Edited by 38ShortopConv. (see edit history)

Thank you, I have the oil float secured on top and I dont see any interferring journals. I will try to lowere the wishbone some additional, I was concerned about putting too much pressure on the wishbone but if you're saying about 1', sounds like I have some room to go. I'll keep you posted.