49 Plymouth 6volt to 12volt conversion questions

Guest Stx123

If I convert to a Positive ground 12volt alternator from my 6volt generator system, what happens with my Coil, and Distributor? Would I use a ballast resistor to compensate for the 12 volts? Do they make a 12 volt electronic ignition setup for the 217 6 cyl? I know I will have to change all the light bulbs in the car, where do I find 12volt bulbs? Headlamps, Tail lamps, dashboard lighting? Is there a good parts place or catalog to get for this car for other parts?

Thank you.

This forum is dedicated to originality so it is not a good one to ask that question on. If you are really intent on doing this then the forum at http://www.p15-d24.com/ is a better one to ask on. (At the moment that site is down but, knowing the webmaster there I don't expect the issue to last long.)

Your question makes me think you don't trust points style ignition systems (I don't agree as I think they are very reliable) but if that is the case you can get a 6v positive ground electronic ignition. If you just have issues with the electrical system in general it is likely due to age and corrosion, switching to 12v won't fix that and might make it worse (think burning your car to the ground). You should have your wiring in good shape regardless.

The reason I was thinking of converting was that my convertible top motor is seized up. It was recommended to me by the convertible top place, that it would be easier to convert the car, install a 12volt top motor, then to get the old one re-built, or to try and find a 6volt motor. I have a 54 gmc truck, and a 64 galaxie with points, so i know they are reliable. So if anybody can tell me where I can find the 6volt convertible top motor and pistons, that would be helpful.

Thanks.

Edited by Stx123 (see edit history)