53 Door Window Channel Kits

Guest 53 Roady

Guest 53 Roady

Who has experience with buying window channel and fuzzy sweeper parts? Are these best bought as kits or pieced together? And what are the tricks to install the sweepers?

I bought a 49 Fisher Body copy but when I asked Bob about the 49 Riviera Fisher Body Manual he said it was not a good copy. The non Riviera manual is a poor copy so I'm sure he told me right. Does the Riviera manual go into detail on door windows and does anyone want to sell a good one?

Thanks Pat

Edited by 53 Roady (see edit history)

Guest 53 Roady

1]I got my window channel kit from Bob's and it includes the fuzzy sweepers and screws for them. Have any of you used the clips for the outer door and outer quarter window sweepers?

2]The kit did not include anything for the door lock side window channel. I think this gets velcro or flocked tape?

3]I see a part labeled BR in the door pic and called "guide window". I don't seem to have this. What does it look like?

Thanks for any insight into these puzzles.

Pat

The kit I ordered from CARS for my 53 special included enough of the stainless beaded fuzzy sweeper for both sides of the windows. I used a very small flat headed screw to install, placing them on about 3 inch centers, predrilling and pulling them down tight enough to bury the head below the "gummy" part of the sweep.

Guest 53 Roady

Thanks Bob. I intend to use the screw method too. What did you line your latch side door channel with?

Pat

Try Restoration Specialties in PA. They specialize in this type product and make some of the most accurate repros available. by the way , you can install the beltstrips with staples like the original with very little effort. They usually duplicate your old samples if you have them. Their number 1s 814-467-9842 and hrs. are 9-5 Mon-Fri Est time

Guest 53 Roady

I have wondered about that. Do you use a new staple to poke holes from the back and then insert it from the front? Thank you all for your help.

Pat

The hole placement on the old part is transferred to the new part, we always used a gel pen. Depending on the material, the holes can usually be punched through from the rear side with a sharp awl. On non bendable material the holes may have to be drilled. The staples are pressed through from the front and bent down with a pair of channelocks or similar pliers. You want to pay close attention to any fastener you use, as you want the metal to seat below the fuzzy material so that it does not rub the glass. While you can use rivets and screws, they usually can be seen and are not authentic. The new staples are a not quite the same size as the original staples GM used, but can be used with excellent results. The staples are usually found on the beltstrip parts. Restoration Specialties will also install the beltstrips to your garnish mouldings if you send them along. From experience, some of the '40's-'50's rear quarter window sweeps can be difficult to form. They also sell the division bar channel and all the correct rivets that you would require for installation. You can access their catalog online if your computer is equipped with Adobe reader. Jim

buick5563,

I used to work there but have been out of it now for 8 years. They are and always have been a small family business and do strive to make the best product they can. If you call them, make sure to ask for either Jeff or Dave Jr. as they are the most knowledgeable. You can now e-mail them or download the catalog but I will say that they have many items that are not in the catalog so if you have any special needs please ask. Unfortunately, many items or original style products are no longer available due to lack of demand as the shift now is to the later model cars like the muscle cars. They do get very busy at times and do several shows each year so they may be a little slower on delivery at times so please be patient. I used to pick orders and do a lot of repairs of various window channels and beltstrips; It was quite an experience to work there. I believe that they now do a lot of manufacturing for other suppliers. I got to meet many of the people behind the major parts sources in our hobby, all nice folks!

Guest 53 Roady

Thanks again Jim. I ordered some G100 channel liner mohair strips, some staples, and some 2348 clips which may work on the welded backing on the outer door {it has 6 rectangular holes}.

Pat