National Meet side trip

JohnD1956

I was going to suggest that anyone familiar with the area post other things to do while in the Springfield area.

I requested information from the Springfield visitors site and got a nice booklet with lots of info on attractions, shopping, dining etc

A few that I found interesting are ...

* Springfield is the headquarters for Bass Pro Shop and they have a 500,000 sq ft store there that includes their Hemingway's restaurant.

* Grizzly Industries makes wood and metal working tools and their showroom is at 1815 W Battlefield Rd

* Route 66 goes thru Springfield and there are some original structures still standing.

* There is an Air & Military Museum

* Railroad Museum

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

A couple of additions.....

If you are traveling from the west or south/west a short side trip to the Crystal Bridges Museum of modern art in Bensonville (Walmart headquarters) about 40 miles south of Joplin. Admission is free, closed on Tuesdays.

South of the host hotel in Ozark MO (a Springfield suburb) is Lambert's Café, good home cooking and known for throwing rolls to you.

There are also a couple of Antique malls on Battlefield st near the Grizzly Industries (drop off the wife at the antique mall and go visit Grizzly showroom)

Now I know where you will be all week.

Might get a rash or hives :D

Better get those rooms reserved ASAP, in order to get the BCA-contracted best room rate rather than a "Special Events" rate.

How far apart are these two events going to be, mileage-wise?

NTX5467

About 60 miles or one hour...too close.

I found a site that give turn by turn route for Route 66 thru Springfield (from East to West) there was also the business and bypass, I did the tour via Google map and it is interesting but not real exciting. I will post the link when my computer is back from the Dr.