Door Panel Cleaner

Enoytsur

Hi there, recently a mechanic put a screwdriver through my Passenger Side Door Panel. Fortunately Jim [thanks again, Jim] came through as usual witha replacement ... and it is in fine shape. The Panel has heavy soil around the edgesas well as in a couple of other places that I’d like to get rid of. I've tried my normal leather cleaners; Meguiar's and Armor All, but neither work at all. I've also tried products such as 409 and Scotchguard. I've always kept my cars pristine so I have never had to restore [so to speak] any leather or leather-like interior items that have aged or ground-in soil on them. To that end, I could use some product suggestions for cleaning the Door Panel. Thank you in advance for assisting, much appreciated.<o:p></o

Guest my3buicks

A magic sponge should clean it right up. If you've never used a magic sponge before, wet it with water and then go to work, don't apply to much pressure at first, increase as needed. They really are "Magic"

And that is an endorsement from the owner of a commercial/residential cleaning co lol

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest Kitskaboodle

It sounds a little unorthodox but I have had good luck using Orange Pumice hand cleaner. My Fiero door panels and door pulls were as dirty as anyone's and it works pretty good. By the way you mentioned leather cleaners but the door panels are made out of vinyl, unless I'm mistaken. Just sayin... Kit

Every spring I used either Bon Ami or Ajax with a scrub brush to clean my boat's vinyl seats and trim. Then I would wipe the vinyl down with clear water, changing the water often. After that I would treat the vinyl with leather conditioner. Boat always looked great.

I would imagine the same would work on the door trim.

Bon Ami is a good suggestion, might also try soft-scrub liquid cleanser (most has some bleach in it but I think there is a variety without) as it had a light grit additive. Then a toothbrush or soft scrub brush to rub the surface lightly. Follow by cleaning off with clear water and drying.

I will also recommend vinyl and rubber treatment sold by Griot's Garage. Whatever you do, don't use armor-all. Stuff will eventually ruin thin vinyl upholstery and it also looks way to glossy when applied.

KDirk

Guest PontiacDude210
The reason I mentioned bleach was, as Keith said, for mildew. I've never had a color problem with bleach on vinyl, BUT I have seen the remains of mildew affecting the color (spotting).

I would be more worried about the damage to any cloth upholstery. You would want to be very careful. I know I wouldn't trust myself with bleach that close to carpeting.

Guest my3buicks

Never been a fan of Lexol in my bussiness, for actual leather cleaning(on most automotive leathers you're actually cleaning a painted surface not natural leather but there are some high-end cars that have natural leathers with an actually dyed color finish) I used diluted Woolite, and any number of good higher end conditioners after.