Early 1927 DB Business Sedan

Guest 04mustang

Guest 04mustang

Hi everyone,

I have been working on an early 1927 DB Business Sedan for quite some time now. When I bought the car it was sitting on the rims with no tires, no glass, the engine block was wrapped in plastic and laying in back floor board of the car with nothing but the block, crank, pistons, and valves in it. Everything else was missing from the engine compartment. The car was at least sitting under a shelter to somewhat protect it. It had been sitting under that shelter for about 30+ years.

With the help of a great mechanic (and soon to be friend) named Vern at Romar DB, I was able to breathe life back into a very old machine. I am still a long ways away from having the car finished but I am a lot further along than I was. I have picked up odd and end parts from various people through the years (yes it has been a long road), Dave Wollam being one. I would just like to share with you all my progress thus far. I currently have the shinny parts over being plated (6-8 week turn around, so don't wait too long for an update there).

I do have a question about the serial number plate and other plates. My car had a small tag identifying it as a business sedan(made of the same material as the serial plate) and another (made of brass) from the dealership that sold the car originally( MacMillian and Marshburn of Wilmington, NC). How can I clean these plates without damaging them? I have a new serial number plate, but not one for the 2 smaller plates.

Thank you,

Corey

post-64122-143142981288_thumb.png

post-64122-143142981319_thumb.png

post-64122-143142981344_thumb.jpg

Edited by 04mustang (see edit history)

Welcome Corey. It looks like you've made some fine progress on the sedan. My toe board plate (the large one in your photo) was in very similar condition to yours and I really could not find a way to bring it back since much of the paint is eroded away. You can buy an excellent reproduction from Myers (or maybe Vern has them too) and then have your car number stamped or engraved on the new plate. I don't know if anyone makes repros for the DB Business sedan plate. The brass one could be polished but masking the letters for repainting the black background would be tricky. The shade of blue you have on there looks very nice. Do you happen to know the paint code and manufacturer?

With regard to the brass plates, why not contact someone who restores old license plates? Perhaps they have the know how to paint the black background.

Great looking car.

As a followup to my post, I had a 1925 PA plate restored by:

Paul Rawden

217 Alden Ave.

New Haven, Conn. 06515

e mail: PaulRawden@aol.com

I have no idea if he is still in business. He did a beautiful job on my plate.

Edited by FMF (see edit history)

Guest 04mustang
Welcome Corey. It looks like you've made some fine progress on the sedan. My toe board plate (the large one in your photo) was in very similar condition to yours and I really could not find a way to bring it back since much of the paint is eroded away. You can buy an excellent reproduction from Myers (or maybe Vern has them too) and then have your car number stamped or engraved on the new plate. I don't know if anyone makes repros for the DB Business sedan plate. The brass one could be polished but masking the letters for repainting the black background would be tricky. The shade of blue you have on there looks very nice. Do you happen to know the paint code and manufacturer?

Thank you very much. Ill have to go back and look but it was PPG code. I think it was called midnight blue, used to be a boat color actually. I just went and picked out a color that I felt like was pretty close to the dodge blue that I wanted it to be in my head. I know that doesn't sound good from a correct police standpoint, but it looks like I wanted to in my head.

Guest 04mustang

I bought new ones from vern. The only thing that they need is for the trim around them to be secured together, otherwise they fit good. Mine were beyond repair.

Guest 04mustang

I wish I could do body work that looked that good. About the best I can get away with is body work for my military vehicles or tractors, lol. I hope she will be, but I have to find a radiator first, I've contacted brassworks twice with no response about if they can make me one. Mine was missing when I bought the car. I've got one now, but it looks horrible and I'm sure it wont hold water.

Corey, Nice to see how much you have done on this car since the last time we chatted. Do you have, or can you get some pics of the wood top framing and bows for me? I need to do my daughters 27 and we have nothing to go by on it. Missed having you on the chat with Vern.

Thanks,

Dave Wollam

Guest 04mustang

Hi Dave!

yes it has been a while since I've been in the chats. For the last year and a half I was working 3rd shift, and have just moved to 1st. My problem is that I have to be up at 4am now, so staying up to chat is hard to do.

I don't have the bows in my top, just the outer rail. I have a picture somewhere that'll have to track down that has the layout of the bows. A fellow member sent it to me a few years ago and I saved it for future reference in a safe place, but now I cant recall where that safe place was.

Well, after finding that email in my old folders I printed it and read it a couple times. Problem is, and I remember now why I didn't use it right away a few years ago, is that the drawings and instructions are for a 1925 DB Sedan. Unfortunately the 26 & 27 tops are quite a bit different than 24-25. So, Corey, you already have the part that is significantly different than 24-25 with that being the perimeter wood. Bows are pretty simple, the outer framing is what is tough. 24-25 has steel coming forward at the rear about 6-8 inches. 26-27 body construction was much lighter and the wood framing for the top went all the way to the outer vertical skin. Procedures are pretty much the same but the style is different. What I need is pics and or drawings with measurements of that outer wood framing. The bows get spaced pretty much like the instructions for the 25.

Bill, your avatar coupe would use the same basic wood as Corey's Sedan. I have already done a 25 Coupe, did that from rotted old wood for patterns. A lot of work but is was fun.

Dave