Source for thick rubber seal on gas tank

Mutt's37Buick

My 37 Roadmaster had a thick rubber seal right where the inlet pipe joins the tank. The picture shows the part after the rusted inlet cover was removed from the trunk. The thick, almost foam like, part probably prevents vibration and acts a sound barrier.

1) I have not seen any aftermarket reproductions of this part and was wondering if anyone else has found one.

2) If not, has anyone every fabricated such a part and what did you use?

Thanks

post-74328-143142979657_thumb.jpg

Wish I had asked back when I was installing my tank--on the 36. I took putty knife and got mine off all in one piece but severely weathered. I just patched it with I think rubber compound in a tube and it held together well enough to install. Had to take the tank back off and found it still in place and in one piece. Only caveat is clearance as if too thick will make installation of tank a bit of a problem. My sending unit is in the middle of the grommet and think the clearance created protects unit as well as a little clearance so no short. The stuff posted by Tom looks a whole more substatntial than the "foam" described and the material used on mine. Good luck

Picture of dense, gas resistant rubber I ordered from McMaster Carr. It worked very well on my car. -7 here this morning. The shop is cold!

Tom

Thanks very much for your offer.

That looks like that foam will would work well.

I'll measure the original and see how much I need.

I could pay for shipping through Paypal, if you would like.

Mutt