Tranny fluid replaced

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

I finally had the fluid and filter replaced and the difference was noticeable. Used GM dexron 3 and AC Delco filter and gasket. It has 148,500 miles and the occasional 2 to 3 shift shudder has not returned. My tech showed me what he scrapped of the bottom of the pan, and while looked nasty to me he said that by the amount of friction material in the bottom I should get another 50,000 to 75,000 miles before rebuild time comes around. Since I put around 4,000 miles a year it will probably outlast me. The labor came to $135.00 and he told me to buy the fluid and hard parts. It used 12.5 quarts of fluid.

Many thanks to all for your advice,

Richard

Glad that you noticed an improvement. The price is interesting since you furnished the parts. Around here a backflush cost about $80-90. I just read the average hourly shop rate across the US was $77 per hour.

Keep us posted as to when the shudder returns. I hope you get 50,000 miles but I think that is a bit optimistic. When my shudder started it made me realize how many shifts a car goes through in just normal driving.

As you might remember I had a first time of the day 2nd-3rd gear miss that turned into a shudder. I found another tranny [the donor car was a G.M. plant car that supposedly had less then 6000 miles on it] and both paid and assisted my mechanic friend to install it. I no longer have any tranny issues and am extremly happy with the car. We have had subzero weather here lately and the car had been sitting in my unheated garage for a couple of days. Fired right up and shifted just like it should.

Guest Richard D

Hi Barney, I should have mentioned that he also replaced upper and lower radiator hoses, serpentine belt which he had delivered from a nearby Autozone. I had not noticed how much the hoses had deteriorated.