36 series 40 air cleaner question

Guest essox

The air cleaner on this car is the east coast type. It is about 7" tall and 7 1/2" in diameter. I'm not sure if it is the oil bath type. It does have the copper mesh in it and does not come apart other than the top cap and round flat filter under the cap. Somewhere in this forum they said it was an oil bath style and put oil in it through the copper mesh. If thats so, how much oil do I put in? There is no mark on the outside. If over filled it might get sucked into the motor. Anybody? Tks

It sounds like you have the same type air filter I have on my 1937. In which case it is not an oil bath air filter. An oil bath filter has oil that catches the sediment and needs to be drained out and replaced every 1,000 miles. What I do on my air filter is lift out the copper mesh, cage and all and wash it in kerosine or gasoline. Once dry coat the copper mesh generously with oil let the excess run off and reinstall. It might smoke a little on start up, but will quickly stop and won't hurt anything. The procedure should be covered in your owners manual.

I am trying to keep my car all original and the thought of it being the wrong air filter is distressing. Maybe not the right one to start with. Anyway, the mesh is under a 3 prong top, that after taking off the cap and soft filter, is not removable to take the mesh out. I will try to post a picture of it if possible but I'm a little incompetent on the computer. What you say?

I think your air cleaner is original and the same one on my 36 Buick. I never have understood why it does not come apart for cleaning. There is supposed to be a felt pad between the top and cleaner body, but mine is missing. The felt is not to be oiled according to the service manual. The manual says to clean the unit by dipping in kerosene or gasoline several times. After drying dip in oil and allow excess to drain off. Note, my cleaner is the later production that requires the brace rod to be bent for clearance.

Tom

post-86558-143142980109_thumb.jpg

post-86558-143142980112_thumb.jpg

Thats the one. Tks for the pictures. My rod is bent so I feel it is the right one. I do have the pad under the cover. I just painted the air cleaner. Hopefully the paint wont come off when dipping. Tks again for yours and others feedback on this. Check out the car on utube posted as Steveo's 1936 Buick. Taken in north Wisconsin in the fall.