Need to move my car on weekend - roads are covered in salt, what to do?

Guest BigBlockHead

Guest BigBlockHead

Hi all,

I guess the the title says it all. I am switching from a storage to another and I need to move the car about 4-5 miles. Should I get a covered trailer, or what other options do I have?

Thanks

If you cannot get an enclosed trailer, at least cover the deck of the open trailer with a tarp.

Drive slowly, and use a good car cover but drive slowly enough not to cause the cover to "flap" against the paint.

Wash the car thoroughly if salt was kicked up, especially wash underneath with a hose.

.... and like Larry said - do it on a dry day.

Guest BigBlockHead

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is a 1970 Lincoln. No rust.

I asked quote from Nationwide Auto Transport... They would charge $550 for 9 miles ;)

BigBlockHead,

Where are you located? I suspect there is someone near you that would be happy to help you move the car in their enclosed trailer. You don't need a professional transporter, you just need a friend or fellow hobbyist with a trailer. If there is a local AACA Region or Chapter, I suspect you could find a member willing to help you. Joining a local AACA Region or Chapter is a great idea as you will soon have friends who enjoy helping with tasks such as this.

Guys, you're scaring him. 30 minutes of dry salt exposure on the back of a truck isn't going to do any damage to his car. Call a local towing service for a flatbed rollback truck. I wouldn't even bother with the tarps and covers, although I guess they can't hurt. It might get a little dusty, but there are no parts on a 1970 Lincoln that will be irreparably harmed by a little salt dust. It's not live acid, it's just dust and if it's not wet, it's inert when it touches metal. Water is the catalyst for salt causing rust, and any metal can withstand dry salt dust for a half hour with no ill effects. You're acting like driving on dry winter roads is like going through a sand storm in the Sahara Desert or something.

All the cars damaged by salt are those driven in it long-term, with wet salt water spraying off the tires and into all the nooks and crannies. If the car isn't already rusty, a light dusting from riding on the back of a truck isn't going to accelerate the process to any appreciable degree. Yes, long-term exposure to wet salt will have a negative impact, but a little dry salt dust, even if it gets into all the nooks and crannies, isn't going to cause the car to become a rust-bucket overnight. I drove my 1929 Cadillac home on Christmas Eve to have it in our local Christmas parade--in CLEVELAND! GASP! Nevertheless, it's still beautiful, still shiny, still rust-free. It didn't fall apart. I don't expect it to start rusting next summer when I wash it with water.

Don't over-think it, particularly for such a short trip. Call a roll-back and get it done in 30 minutes for $125.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Guest BigBlockHead
Guys, you're scaring him. 30 minutes of dry salt exposure on the back of a truck isn't going to do any damage to his car. Call a local towing service for a flatbed rollback truck. I wouldn't even bother with the tarps and covers, although I guess they can't hurt. It might get a little dusty, but there are no parts on a 1970 Lincoln that will be irreparably harmed by a little salt dust. It's not live acid, it's just dust and if it's not wet, it's inert when it touches metal. Water is the catalyst for salt causing rust, and any metal can withstand dry salt dust for a half hour with no ill effects. You're acting like driving on dry winter roads is like going through a sand storm in the Sahara Desert or something.

All the cars damaged by salt are those driven in it long-term, with wet salt water spraying off the tires and into all the nooks and crannies. If the car isn't already rusty, a light dusting from riding on the back of a truck isn't going to accelerate the process to any appreciable degree. Yes, long-term exposure to wet salt will have a negative impact, but a little dry salt dust, even if it gets into all the nooks and crannies, isn't going to cause the car to become a rust-bucket overnight. I drove my 1929 Cadillac home on Christmas Eve to have it in our local Christmas parade--in CLEVELAND! GASP! Nevertheless, it's still beautiful, still shiny, still rust-free. It didn't fall apart. I don't expect it to start rusting next summer when I wash it with water.

Don't over-think it, particularly for such a short trip. Call a roll-back and get it done in 30 minutes for $125.

Thanks. I found a flatbed rollback truck for $95. It went well! I am in Michigan, and they probably use more salt here than in Crimea! :D