1937 Brake Inspection Questions

John_Mc

Fellows, the last thing I want ot throughly inspect and repair is the cable brake system on my '37 Zephyr. I will not consider changing to hydraulics. which are obviously a better system. Outside of the obvious fraying etc., does this system have any known failures?? What do I look for and where? Is there a manual that clearly goes through the brakes step-by-step?

Thanks for all responses, got to get this old girl ready for summer! :D

John,

The owner's manual for the Ford had the brake adjustment procedure in it, maybe the Zephyr manual also has the instructions. The Ford Service Bulletins covers a step by step procedure to inspect and adjust the brakes. A book covering 1932 - 1937 Service Bulletins is available in reprint from Macs, or I can copy the pages that I have pertaining to the Zephyr brakes for you. I think that most of them are in my copy of the Service Bulletins.

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_early/books-manuals-and-dvd.html

Mechanical brakes need lubrication at the pivot points and for the cables. You may find wear in the pivots in your system. If so, it should be repaired to give you good brakes.

I also have the reproduction hub puller for the rear drums, if you would like to borrow it. It is the only safe way to remove the drums on a Ford product. Any puller that does not hook into the groove on the rear drum, can damage or break the drum.

Edited by 19tom40 (see edit history)

While similar to the Ford system the Zephyr uses a cable operated Bendix system which features a "servo" action. I think the most important thing about these brakes are "free" cables and the right brake lining. Properly adjusted these brakes will approach hydraulics in stopping power. If you are not sure about how "free" the cables are I would remove them from the car and soak them in something like kerosene working them back and forth in the their conduits. Years ago I did this on a '38 and the brakes were butter smooth. The Way of The Zephyr magazine( Nov.-Dec 2013) gave a very detailed adjustment procedure for the '36 -'38 Zephyr. These brakes require very frequent adjustments at best and getting the car to actually stop in a straight line difficult.

John,

You can go to the Products page of the club's Website at LZOC.org. There you'll find the following:

Back Issues of "The Way of the Zephyr" –

Current year's issues........................................................$4.50

Previous year's issues......................................................$4.00

Older Issues, Vol. 7 - up..................................................$2.00

Older Issues, Vol. 1 - 6.....................................................$5.00

Add $1.50 postage for one magazine First Class to United States. All other countries and multiple issues - check with Bob for postage rates.

1 copy of each available magazine (approximately 180 issues) postage paid anywhere in U.S. except Alaska and Hawaii............$300.00

The "Bob" mentioned is Bob Barr, PO Box 115, Sheboygan, WI 53082, Phone 920-459-7875.

If you haven't done so, this would be a great time to join the LZOC. The instructions are also at LZOC.org.