1927 Fast 4 charging problem

Guest mbjeeper

Guest mbjeeper

I am completing a 1927 coupe, and one of my last problems is the charging system. It is 6 volt, positive ground.

I have only the mechanic's instruction manual, which is pretty general and doesn't even mention the model of generator that I have.

It is a Northeast Model LB type 6384 with a generator mounted cut out, the type with a fuse.

I didn't drive the car before it was brought to me and it had a non functioning amp meter, so I can't be sure that it was in fact charging. The wiring diagram in the manual is not very detailed, and I have the wire to the amp meter attached to the bottom terminal of the cut out, just as it was when I took it apart. Again, I am not positive that even this is correct.

I have no voltage anywhere but on that bottom terminal/amp gauge wire while the car is running. The brushes appeared to be in good shape, and the generator was not rebuilt. If it needs to be rebuilt, that's fine, but I'd like to at least troubleshoot it a bit first.

If anyone out there can tell me how to check this thing out, make sure that it is wired correctly, and possibly polarize it, I'd really appreciate it.

I'd appreciate any other comments concerning the charging system, as well.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Hi Greg Your Fast 4 generator is very similar to the one on my Senior 6 On the Amp gauge you should have 1 terminal with 1 wire that comes from the starter switch On the other terminal there could be up to 4 wires feeding power to the ignition,light switch,dome and brake lights

If you have power at the single wire that is only coming from the battery If the amp gauge was toasted I don"t think that you would get power to the ignition circuit as this comes from the other terminal on the amp gauge

The wire from the generator cut -out you have connected correctly

There is a fuse in the Generator to protect the field windings and if this fuse is blown the generator won't charge USE ONLY a 6 amp fuse

Have you checked the reverse cut-out. Take in mind that the contacts in this unit are usually open at engine idle speed and should close at about 700 rpm

I hope I have been of help to you Ron

Guest mbjeeper

Thanks for the reply, Ron.

All wiring in the car is new, and the amp meter is wired as you said. The generator fuse is good, and hasn't been replaced by me, and the cutout is clean and the points will physically move, but beyond that I don't know how to check it.

I've checked it at idle and above 700 or so RPMs, but so far nothing from the generator.

I've PM'd you my email address. Thanks for the help.

Greg

With the vehicle running, check and see if the cutout points are closed. If not, try physically closing them and see if you get any action on the ammeter. You may need to raise the RPM's a little to actually show a charge. By doing this, you are bypassing the cutout coil. One other way to do this is to actually bypass the cutout by jumping across the cutout from the "Gen" terminal to the "Bat" terminal. If you bypass it, that would free you up to get in the car and watch ammeter. Try this and see what happens. If you are unsure of anything, feel free to contact me directly by email at jason@aerrebuild.com or toll free at 1-866-228-0218

-Jason