Trim removal question on 48 Traveler

The short secton of trim between the drivers door and the front fender is crooked and I'd like to straighten it but I'm not sure how to get it off. Looking from the inside with my cable camera I can see that it apparently is bolted to the car from the outside. The only thing I can think of is that one has to pry the trim piece off a bracket that is mounted to the side of the car with two bolts and a screw. Hesitant to do any prying without a bit of advice.

Dave

post-103975-143142977022_thumb.jpg

I have pondered that very same question. I have a disassembled unit here and it does look like maybe it would be a snap on piece but would hesitate to try that without better advice. There was an accessory rear view mirror that can go there. I think they are made from unobtainium.

With the trim off there are screw heads showing. They go thru a plate of sorts that could be a base for a snap on trim piece.

It appears that these screws would go into a caged nut that you could see from the underside. however on mine the nuts have been turned in the cage or the screws are broken.

I will someday need to address this, I have a parts car that I don't have to worry to much about.

I have pondered that very same question. I have a disassembled unit here and it does look like maybe it would be a snap on piece but would hesitate to try that without better advice. There was an accessory rear view mirror that can go there. I think they are made from unobtainium.

With the trim off there are screw heads showing. They go thru a plate of sorts that could be a base for a snap on trim piece.

It appears that these screws would go into a caged nut that you could see from the underside. however on mine the nuts have been turned in the cage or the screws are broken.

I will someday need to address this, I have a parts car that I don't have to worry to much about.

If I understand you correctly you have a bracket that is already loose from the car that doesn't have the trim piece on it. If you could take a picture or two that could help with figuring on a good way of getting it apart.

You're right in that on the inside of the car there is a captive square head nut at each end of the bracket and a single screw in the center. It looks as if it would be easy to spin those inside square nuts around in their cage if rusted up. If they spin getting a wrench on them from the inside will be a heck of a challenge.

I hope that the center screw is there to center it and the bracket is slotted at the two end bolts to allow some adjustment.

That trim piece snaps over the moulding retainer clip plate as mentioned above. Carefully work it up and off.

The optional swan neck mirrors that are not available also mount there minus the clip retainer.

Bob you posted while I was typing my last response. It seems that I am on the right track. Hopefully I'll be able to get it squared away.

OK, I had a minute and the sun is out.

I don't see any way that this would clip on unless there is still something missing.

I don't have the fenders here right now for a pic, but there are slots on them that would share these screws. You can still see the anti squeak stuff that goes between the cowl and the fender.

post-52542-143142977949_thumb.jpg

post-52542-143142977952_thumb.jpg

post-52542-143142977955_thumb.jpg

post-52542-143142977957_thumb.jpg

I agree that there is something missing too. From what I can see of the trim piece it has a pretty good lip on the long edges. Seems that with those lips it would be challenging to pry it off from either the top or bottom. Almost looks like it could slide to the front or rear.

Jack would you be able to take a couple of pictures of the underside of the trim piece by itself?

Success!

I was able to get it off and straightend up.

To get it off one must slip a small screw driver along the top edge and work it off first. The top is a friction fit and the bottom hooks under a series of "bumps" off of another metal piece that was missing in the pieces that Jack took photos of. The trim can be bumped forward or backwards to center it after it is put back on.

I didn't pull the mounting pieces all the way apart as the rear bolt was rusted tight in the captive nut but I was able to get the front bolt to break loose. I took a small flat punch and hammer and tapped the mounting plates adjacent to the bolts moving it into the correct position. After I got the bracket into place I used some rubbing compound to polish the paint around it before putting the trim back on. As Rusty pointed out the potential for dinging the paint and exposing discolorations is high by doing this. For me leaving a crooked piece of trim was more bothersome than risking some finish issues especially since my paint is by no means perfect.

Many thanks to all that took the time to help me out on this!!

Dave

post-103975-143142978285_thumb.jpg

post-103975-143142978288_thumb.jpg

post-103975-143142978292_thumb.jpg

post-103975-143142978294_thumb.jpg

post-103975-143142978297_thumb.jpg

I gotta go back to the junk box and see if there is anything that looks like that in there.

Thanks for the pics, I have not seen this before. I wonder if those accy. mirrors go on the same way.

The accessory (swan neck) mirrors are screwed directly into the blind nuts with chrome plated scews.

They do not use any brackets, etc to hold them on.

I am not sure whether or not Jay Fis©her is still in business but he used to repro the swan neck mirrors - along with many others.

They were not cheap as I bought a pair for my T & C several years ago @ $750.00 / pair.

I am almost afraid to put them on my car because they are so fragile I fear someone

bumping into them or getting a jacket/shirt caught on them. If that should happen they would surely be damaged.

I was thinking of going the cowl trim route and maybe just attaching the mirrors for shows.

Also, the cowl trim brackets show up on Ebay quite often - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1947-1948-Chrysler-Dodge-Desoto-NOS-MOPAR-Cowl-Moulding-Clip-/251836133644?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3aa29a710c&vxp=mtr

Joe

I have heard that the passenger side swan neck mirrors are fairly useless as far as being able to see anything in them or possibly not even being able to see the mirror from the driver's seat.

I have heard that the passenger side swan neck mirrors are fairly useless as far as being able to see anything in them or possibly not even being able to see the mirror from the driver's seat.

Yep!! Pretty much they are just expensive "show" pieces that are useless for the most part.

You don't need the mirrors on a convertible IMO! I never have.

I just think they are so unique.

Yes they can get broken by hitting them. Usually the mirror heads get broken off. I have popped two off my cars but I have several extra's to replace the damaged ones. I have found them at swap meets and Ebay.

Guest markrush

There is a set of reproduction cowl mirrors on eBay right now. The listing is titled: "46-48 Chrysler. 1 new pair of Reproduction Cowl Mirrors" They are currently at $350.00 with 3 days left in the auction. Description says they were never installed, perhaps for the reason Joe gives. I'm guessing they were from Jay Fischer. I called a year or two ago and was told they were not likely to be available again. Even $350 is not in my budget, but be aware that price will likely go way up seconds before the auction ends, because bidders for rare parts do not want to tip their hat early and get into a bidding war. They all hope nobody else saw that item they are salivating to get, but eBay is an auction millions of people are attending, and most things go for market price or higher. If you want it make your highest bid what you would have been willing to pay after someone else gets the item.