Oil pan removal question please?

John_Mc

Do I need to disturb the wishbones when dropping the oil pan?? Looks like I have enough clearance after removing the exhaust crossove and starter. I'd like to have to remove the ball, but maybe I shoud just replace it as long as I'm down there??

You shouldn't have to remove the wishbones, and in fact I suspect you would find them extremely hard to remove from the front axle. I agree with you though that if the ball is deteriorated, you might as well replace it while you are down there.

Got the bolt off and have removed the ball and after pushing down on the wishbone, I still can't get the pan to clear the wishbone. I don't see any interference with the tie rod or the cranks counterbalance in the front. I just can't twist the pan enough to get it past the wishbone. Any other ideas?

Edited by John_Mc (see edit history)

You may have already done this but try loosening the nuts that hold the spring to the front cross member.This should take the tension off the spring and allow the wishbone to drop far enough to get the oil pan out. It's not easy but I have done this several times over the years on our 1937.