Electric Fuel Cap Lock - 1983

Jim65Riv

My 83 Riviera came with the factory electric fuel cap lock. I haven't been able to find out anything about this option, except in the owner's manual. Any idea how common an option this was? The previous owner had it replaced with a non-locking cap and plate frame in September 2004. Boulevard Buick - Pontiac - GMC in Signal Hills, CA did the work. Does anyone have the correct locking cap available?

• 1 month later...

A local ROA member here in the KC area has a really well equipped two-tone silver '83 that he's added options to as he's found them. The locking fuel cap has escaped his efforts so far. So if you find one, you need to ask if the seller has two.

Ed

• 5 weeks later...
Guest alfredgee

Hi Jim,

I have this option on my 1983 Convertible. The cap is a metal one that looks like a regular gas cap from the era as it was very similar to my 1981 Cadillac Seville.

The locking feature was actually mounted on the filler neck, there is no lock on the license frame. You pushed a button under the dash to release the cap. If you didn’t, it would not turn. I assume it was some kind of vacuum operation, but not entirely sure. Over time, it has stopped working so I’m not sure if one from a boneyard will still work. I would assume that if you can get your hands on a shop manual, more details can be had.

Cheers!

Alfred Gee

1983 Buick Riviera Convertible

Thank. Alfred. My car had it initially. The switch is still under the dash, and the release is still next to the filler pipe. I assume from the repair invoice I have that the cap was tossed and the license plate mounting had to be changed.