1950 Champion Tubeless Radial tires?

JoeShmoe

That's one of the key questions I was hoping to get answered; If the 1950 rim is compatible with a modern tubeless design tire for sealing air, seating the bead etc. I hate to drop hundreds of dollars on tires that don't work. I'm wondering if others have had success with going tubeless on 1950 Champion Rims, and if radials worked out too. Joe

Dismount your spare tire at an older tire shop. Have them look at the construction of the wheel. If the center is riveted to the outer rim, it will leak air without a tube. If the center was electro-welded into the rim, it will accept a tubeless tire. Also "safety wheels" were introduced in the early '50s which had a small step at the tire bead to help hold the tire on the rim when going flat. Ask some Studebaker guys when welded wheels and safety wheels were introduced. You might want to buy a set of wheels from a Stude a few or more years newer.

Important consideration that many overlook: Don't just buy a size interchange from a chart because you will end up with too small a diameter. Buy one size larger than what the chart says.

I ran Diamond Back radials on my '53 Commander and loved them.

• 2 weeks later...
In our collection is an original 1950 Starlite cp, which ten years ago Mary put on a set of 205 75 15" tubeless tires. The car has been driven hundreds of miles at highway speeds with no problems.

Thank you much Bill for taking the time to answer! Your specific answer about the same car, same vintage, and personal experience is what I was hoping for....... Joe