Trunk mat 1940 Packard 160 convertible sedan

trimacar

Does anyone have a source for a new trunk mat for a 1940 160 convertible sedan? I would think it's the same as a 120 convertible, as they are basically the same body. Suggestions? Anyone have pictures of an original they could post or send me? post-31482-143142976311_thumb.jpgthanks David C.

The parts list shows carpet for many trunks in 1941 but not the 1477 conv sedan. Likewise a mat is listed for several vehicles but not for the conv sedan. It even lists sizes of mats. Mats were used in cars with a/c, carpet in those without. So the evidence seems to be that the conv sedan had neither carpet nor mat unless I am mistaken about it being a 1477.

I agree. There is a separate section in the parts list for "Carpet Assembly, trunk compartment". Lists 13 different part numbers for different trunk applications depending on body style, sidemounted or trunk mounted spare etc. Everything from the 1332 to the 1350. Nothing for the 1377. Same with mats.

It's a 1377. Thanks for the research. I understand your point, but it's hard for me to think an upscale 160 was left with bare metal in the trunk....but it's possible...thanks!

If the car hasn't been dipped or blasted, I'd investigate if there is any sign they used flocking rather than left it metal. Per the service letter mentioned at Packardinfo the flocking seems to have started with 39s and there are plenty of cars showing it was used thru 54.

Edited by HH56 (see edit history)

I once flocked an entire car. Painted wife's red VW wagon outside in front of the garage. Beautiful job using that old slow drying enamel that was available at the time. I neglected to factor in the maple trees that decided to release tremendous amounts of light green pollen as evening approached. Came out the next morning to find a beautifully flocked car.

Jeff

There must be something wrong with the documents you're looking at. My car has a/c, and it has carpet in the trunk. All original. I doubt very much that any Packard (in 1940) was delivered without either carpet or a mat of some sort. If flocking is the term for what's in my trunk, then that's what I have. It fits in like carpet, and also covers the sides, not just the floor.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

I'm looking at the Packard Parts List as reprinted in 1947 by the Packard Motor Car Company Service Parts Division and as reprinted by PAC. What species is your car? It does show part numbers for trunk carpet for the 1432-42-50 and 51 with a/c but nothing for the 1377 or 1477 Convertible Sedans.

Did Packard build the convertible sedan or were they farmed out or made from something else after a base car was built. Are the trunks about the same size as the other convertibles. Just seems odd if built in house on the same line they would make it a high end model and then pick that detail to have it be different from the others.

Flocking on the sides and a carpet is starting to sound reasonable.....for a Senior car as Don states.......West, could I trouble you for a picture sometime? thanks...

David

The car is spending the winter in Bethel, Pennsylvania. I will be driving it to Virginia Beach in a few months, but I suppose it will be too late by then for you.

In 1940, the body of the convertible sedans were the same for the Junior and Senior series of Packards. There are a couple of details that are different, such as trunk lid and rack treatment, and the Senior series had geared vent windows instead of the push-out on the Juniors. Interior trim was different, also, with different patterns and different dashboard treatment. I wouldn't be surprised that the Senior trunks had a slightly better treatment than the Junior, such as carpet vs. mat, but "imagination vs. documentation" says it all (a great line!!)

The trunk lids are identical between Junior and Senior, but there would be differences if the car (whether Junior or Senior) had a luggage rack or not.

Also, for 1940, there are several examples of Senior (160) Packard convertible sedans (and convertible coupes, I think) that have the push-out vent windows. The crank-out vent windows didn't start to appear on the 160s until midway through the production season. So, it is not uncommon to find an authentic 1940 Packard 160 with push-out vent windows.

Tom LaFerriere sold this car to a gentleman in Arizona. I'd love to see what's inside the trunk because it's an all original car. The person who bought it logs onto the PackardInfo site once in a while. I hope he sees your question and responds. I wonder if Tom took any photos of inside the trunk??????

http://www.tomlaferriere.com/1940_Packard_super_eight_convertible_sedan_160_for_sale.htm

I did a 1941 110 and the sides of the trunk were flocked (also what is in a Clipper). I recall about the same time seeing a bag of NOS flock on ebay. As a sidenote: I was probably asbestos or something you really would not want new or ... The 41 110 had a hogshair mat on the floor - a really nice replacement is brown ribbed indoor/outdoor industrial carpet from such as Lowes or Home Depo.