Scholarship --- Why?

old-tank

Scholarship --- Why?

Page 14/15 of the February 2015 Bugle details requirements and an application for a $5000 scholarship. In last months (January 2015) Bugle there was a P.S. at the end of the President's message stating that it was coming. Also Board meeting notes (2014) had some discussion, but no good reason for it. It sounds like a good deal for any recipients, but are we now a service organization like the Lions Club? We don't have bake sales, chili cook-offs, or raffles to fund such activities. The financial report in the September 2014 Bugle shows sources of income, the bulk of which comes out of members pockets which translates to 100 full paid memberships to fund the scholarship.

Scholarship --- Why?

Willie

Perhaps a "marketing venture" to get some younger members AWARE of the club? Some chapters have funded local scholarships for many years as a part of their normal course of business (a CA chapter). In another group I'm associated with, we started doing a $1000/semester scholarship and the recipients have been very appreciative of our new scholarship.

One concern I might have is how financially-sustainable this new offering might be should the BCA encounter "leaner times" in the future? Did the fact my "Bugle" arrived semi-naked (not bagged, as in the past) be the result of reallocating funds to cover the scholarship? Just curious.

NTX5467

Guest my3buicks

Brian DePouli posted elsewhere that "Printer's wrapping machine broke. Some first class ones got a wrap, most didn't in order to not delay them"

Why is it our responsibility to e mail the board members? Don't they have some responsibility to express their position?

They are aware of this thread. Some were seen (under 'thread information' at the bottom of the page) and others have visited my profile (who the hell is this jerk airing our dirty laundry?)

I voted for most on the board and consider them friends, but you still have to watch them. And now their silence is starting to tick me off.

Another consideration: is this even legal regarding the Club's tax exempt status?

We are watching you!

Willie

email the board members

As if they didn't know about something they would have had to vote on for it to happen? OR to express the respective orientations on this issue, "For" or "Against"?

It's probably a little too late to stop things, considering this decision was probably made a few months ago. Printing lead times and such.

Thanks, Keith, for that information. Good to know!

NTX5467

I think the scholarship is a good idea. According to the details in the Feb Bugle applicants must be child or grandchild to a 5 year Club member. So it

is going to a Club Member, in a way, and it's going to a good cause, furthering education. Can't speak as to legality, but I do know that IRS rules call for monies collected from Club members to be spent on Club Members. So it would seem its not illegal.

It won't do me any good for my daughter since I have not been a member long enough and my son has already finished his post secondary education. Many car clubs do similar scholarships as part of their outreach to try to attract young members. With BCA's concern about the extremely high average age of the membership and the declining membership, I can certainly understand the thought behind it. Off the top of my head I think it is one of the highest scholarship amounts that I have seen a car club award to a single individual. Personally, I would think that several smaller scholarships to multiple students would be a better idea. I can also understand why some would think it to be a bad idea totally. As I have discussed elsewhere, while talking about it on the forum is a good way to get feedback and other points of view, the way to lobby to get it changed would be to contact the board members.

I recall an early idea was it would attract younger members. I don't have a problem with giving one or two scholarships but (1) the club must be able to afford them, and (2) what is sacred about $5000? We could give out 2 scholarships and make 2 people happy but keep them at $1000 each. I still have a grandson in collage and am aware of the cost but $1000 is still a $1000 more than they had.

Guest my3buicks

Having two kids in college, I'm still not really sure I see the need for the BCA to get into the scholarship game. That said I would rather see multiple students get a scholarship than just one. If for some reason the $5000 mark is set in stone, I rather see five students get 1000 each to go toward books.

Was this something that the membership showed interest in and wanted the board to pursue? As I had to ask earlier, how did this come about?

Let me open by saying, I work in a Financial Aid environment, and work hard at the job daily. As I sat down with the Bugle days ago, and noticed the new BCA scholarship, I immediately was drawn to the subject for three reasons. First I was not aware dues from members were in such a surplus to enable a select few to make a decision so radical without polling its membership. I do participate in National meets, and regional chapter activities although I do not belong to a specific chapter. I have enjoyed the events, and meeting others that share my hobby interests thoroughly with many pleasant memories over the last 26 years of owning my '66 Riviera GS. I have no children to enter college, but I have experienced college life by earning a Bachelor degree in 1984, and did not qualify for Financial Aid in doing so. While working full time after the BA degree, I continued my higher education without the use of Financial Aid to achieve a desired Masters Degree in 1990. It involved being dedicated to balancing both a full time job, evening/summer graduate school classes, and to an everyday expense budget. I was always interested in the car hobby from an early age, and I had a strong desire to one day find a car from the 1960's to tinker with. The opportunity came in 1988 with the '66 Riviera GS for $2900. This was two years before I completed my Masters Degree, so it was a release from both work, and schooling to get into the Buick hobby. I have no regrets in going forward before finishing the Masters degree, and one of the best investments to enjoy today as I still own that car nearly 27 years later.

Secondly, as mentioned above, I work in the financial aid field as accountant seeing both the rising cost of education, and the many needs that families face. I also work with setting up coding for scholarships at our institution which involves reviewing criteria for the new scholarships based upon donor agreement and wishes. One thing I am puzzled by is the selection criteria being used by the BCA for the scholarship. There is a great deal of the Engineering field that goes into the Buick car hobby, or in the new car/engine design, yet I see no mention of any weight given to the major in Engineering (Electrical, Chemical (alternative fuels), etc.). Shouldn't these funds be better served in majors such as these in prolonging the auto industry here in the US? I know it would be a priority for me as a car nut to know I was fostering the evolution of the car industry in the US, and to create a generation of future GM car fanatics like myself enjoying my historical Buick.

My last comment is with the rising costs fees associated with car hobby membership club dues, repair costs to maintain and show vehicles, and to "drive" my Buick treasure to your events should be more valued by BCA than spending membership due funds that only a "select generation" can enjoy who may have little interest in the car hobby, have perhaps poor academic promise, or a major in a field that would not benefit the preservation of vintage Buicks, or design of future Buicks. For this reason, I will rethink my renewal of the BCA membership in August 2016 at which time my membership will expire. Furthermore, the funds can be put to better use here in my hometown through my local car clubs, or state car club charity fund raisers. Investment in bad choices, or poor "administrative executive decisions" has led to many international club organizations' downfall when not first consulting the masses who support the club.

Sincerely,

Barry Smith

BCA #23060

1966 Buick Riviera GS

1966 Buick Electra convertible

1984 Riviera coupe

1990 Park Avenue sedan

Edited by Barrys_Riv (see edit history)

In keeping with Barry's comments above, I just received a BCA chapter newsletter with the following (I edited out the names and places):

"Someone stated our club needs to issue donation checks. The discussion resulted in two motions; one motion & second to issue a check in the amount of $500 to the A Local Auto Museum; the second motion & second to issue two checks in the amount of $500 each to a local Hospital and to a children’s home;all carried.

There was also some discussion regarding getting the word out to vocational schools to let them know of availability of our scholarship funds. Someone noted that he has saved Scholarship guidelines and application. He will forward it to anyone requesting the application. Someone added that he will contact a regional automotive trade school to see if there is any interest in students applying for financial assistance. Someone added that some schools in a local county pool scholarship funds. He will check to determine if any scholarships may fit the automotive courses that may fall within our guidelines."

This demonstrates that local chapters are already providing scholarships within guidelines that the local members have approved. I would like to see the guidelines for the proposed BCA sponsored scholarships. I suggest that the guidelines should be approved by a majority of the membership. Provisions should also authorize awards only when the BCA treasury has sufficient funds to carry over a specified percentage of the following year's budget and prevent duplication of awards already provided by local chapters.

Under the heading "PUBLICATIONS" on the BCA website, The BOD Minutes, October 2013-July 2014, item 10 (March 2014), the motion to provide a $5000 scholarship was presented and then amended to read five-$1000 scholarships (according to the published minutes of e-mail BOD motions). The motion was then voted upon, and passed 6 to 3. When and how did it get changed back to one $5000 scholarship?

Did you here about the two Buick owners who got a hold of a penny and invented copper wire?

There have been times when I reached into my pocket and silently paid for something Buick Club related rather than listen to the discourse. Avoid spending money, talking about money, or asking for money.

From a 30+ year member; I think more members have been lost from money bickering than old age.

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting...we will have to make a copy of the page from the Bugle or e-mail the powers that be for one.

Teresa is in first year university so qualifies. I don't know that she would be selected, but has attained the points to be a BCA senior judge. She has also written articles for the Bugle. While not strictly automotive, she wants to get into the environmental design program at the University of Manitoba (undergrad degree in the Faculty of Architecture). Luke will likely be pursuing something in the science or engineering fields.

Many of of these same questions expressed here have been asked before - I remember some discussion at the membership meeting in Portland. It makes sense that the BoD answer, but not necessarily on this public forum. It really ought to be an internal club discussion, in my opinion.

I would suspect that any such amendments to the original decision (1x$5K to 5x$1K and allegedly back to 1x$5K) would have been listed in BOD Minutes?

Perhaps the BOD can share what actions they took to go from "We've got to cut expenses/salaries" to "excess" funds? That information might be beneficial to better understand how some things have happened, plus possibly serving as a model which many members might follow, if possible. At least the BOD did return some contractors' compensation to prior levels when they could, as many private businesses just kept amassing reserves and not similarly rewarding their employees for their earlier sacrifices to keep the businesses going.

Perhaps it was from having financially successful national meets? Just curious.

I'm not against the idea, at whatever level, as it can be used as a marketing tool for possible member attraction and retention. I also tend to agree about specific areas of study being encouraged, to help encourage automotive-related areas when possible.

IF the BOD might want to make a "bigger splash" in the scholarship/sponsorship area, there is an annual "Sunny Car" race for solar-powered vehicles, at the university level. Adding some sponsorship money, possibly matched by GM, into that event might better spread the word about our national organization. Possibly as prize money or expense reimbursements to the winning team, as permitted under university guidelines. To me, this might be a more public showing/use of the money than in something hidden among a select few of the membership's relatives.

Several years ago, Chevrolet had a competition among university engineering departments to see what sort of powertrain options could be devised for increased fuel economy and lower emissions. Perhaps some sort of partnership with Buick, in similar situations, might be mutually-beneficial?

Best of luck to the applicants, congrats to the winners of the scholarship(s).

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

I've been out of the loop for a while on BCA board stuff but it's certainly a fair request to have a reply from a board member on what has transpired with this Scholarship Grant.

If I voted for or against I would surely stand up and say why.

Assuming Joel Gauthier (the BCA CPA) was consulted prior to a vote.

Also assuming there was a roll Roll Call vote.

That should be public knowledge.

Guest my3buicks

Many do though, and I bet most at least are lurkers. We have heard from enough board members on other issues, so we know at least some of them are here.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the board has heard the concerns. It would have made me feel better to have been asked earlier in the process but I just received a survey from BCA on this issue by email. The survey indicated that the board "was considering" a scholarship, which is a little bit different from what has been previously published in the Bugle, but it is good to see that they are attempting to get member input on this issue. Better late than never...

Survey or not they still have not answered: Scholarship --- Why?

Maybe if the board members cannot or will not answer, they will tell us how much they are personally donating to the scholarship fund. More likely they are like all elected officials...good at spending other peoples' money so they can feel good.

Another question...most are familiar with the login procedure for the electronic bugles; why can't there be a link from that page to a private forum to discuss BCA issues without 'airing it in public' and getting comments from non-members? Right now if you want someone off the forums, just elect them to the BOD.

Willie

Edited by old-tank
sp (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

The private forum area for BCA members is and has been needed for a very long time. I often get tired of non-members making comments as far as actual BCA function/policy is concerned.

Survey or not they still have not answered: Scholarship --- Why?

Maybe if the board members cannot or will not answer, they will tell us how much they are personally donating to the scholarship fund. More likely they are like all elected officials...good at spending other peoples' money so they can feel good.

Another question...most are familiar with the login procedure for the electronic bugles; why can't there be a link from that page to a private forum to discuss BCA issues without 'airing it in public' and getting comments from non-members? Right not if you want someone off the forums, just elect them to the BOD.

Willie

Hey, Willie good idea, there is a "BCA Directors Only" Forum that's been available for almost 5 years has only 16 posts/Threads over that time, Maybe Peter can convert that to a BCA Members only forum, using the same info as the e-Bugle access, hint, hint.

Under the heading "PUBLICATIONS" on the BCA website, The BOD Minutes, October 2013-July 2014, item 10 (March 2014), the motion to provide a $5000 scholarship was presented and then amended to read five-$1000 scholarships (according to the published minutes of e-mail BOD motions). The motion was then voted upon, and passed 6 to 3. When and how did it get changed back to one $5000 scholarship?

No answer on the discussion forum for this question, maybe it will show up on the Board of Directors meeting minutes when they get updated on the Publications part of the forum.

I received the survey a day or so ago. Short....Sweet....and to the point.

The WOKR site has a members and open forum discussion area. It seems to work very well.

post-59118-14314301131_thumb.jpg

Edited by wmsue (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

Who's anti youth Ted? I have two kids in college, sorry, I don't want a penny of my dues going to someone else's kid for college, I rather keep it and put it toward mine. If I did want my money going toward a scholarship it would go to kids that really were in need and wouldn't be able to go otherwise, this scholarship is not geared in that direction. it's poor business plain and simple.

Addressing the concept of the Scholarship(s) alone, not the mechanics of how this scholarship came to be, I don’t think it is poor business. I think it’s an attempt to recognize, reward, and improve member retention. Note, the recipient is required to have several years of Member in Good Standing relationship to the Club. I also think it’s an attempt to give back to the community. The local Chapter I belong to has done fundraising in our community since it’s inception. I suspect many other Chapters do likewise. Since this is a multinational Club fundraising for the local community would be near impossible. But it would be a noble gesture. This is along those lines and it’s serving to help worthy club members. I think this is a good way to promote added value to membership in the BCA.