Seats

Guest my3buicks

Keith,

What did you use for the re-dye? The burgundy in my late 88 (all regular leather) is showing some wear on the drivers side and I'm considering trying a re-dye. Getting a bit on tbe flame red drivers seat in the 91 coupe also so will need to address that eventually. Early 88 (suede) burgundy look decent save for the suede which is shot on the drivers side.

KDirk

Guest my3buicks

I used Fiebing's leather dye, i chose Tan for the color and wished i had gone a shade or two lighter, it is a bit darker, for a high mileage driver I didn't think it really mattered as long as it looks good. There are also leather dyes out there that put a coating on instead of actually dying, I am going to use that product for my steering well, I have used this type product in the past with good results. Fiebing's has a big selection of colors.

I cleaned them thoroughly with Puple Power first to remove all dirt and it being rather strong left them perfect and ready to take the dye.

I think the product would work well on the dark red seats, but not so well on the bright red, I think the bright red you would need the product at coats instead of dyes.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

To a small degree, The second product I listed would put a new coating on the seats and do a much better job of covering the creases.

A heat gun ( not to hot and caution not to stay in one place and scorch) will remove wrinkles in leather as well as scalding hot water compresses.

The hot water compresses work best for tightening up leather, the heat gun better for wrinkles. Feeding the creases with a good leather conditioner will also help, but there is not magic cure to get them completely out.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

I know an upholsterer I once used wanted $350 to re-dye a seat panel (specifically, a left thigh support). Mucho dinero (maybe in part as it is in Los Angeles).

i wonder if theres any companies out there that do this?my seats need touched up.i was watching 'wheeler dealers' and they had it done but they are in england.

Guest my3buicks

Most good upholsterers will do it, I do think $350 for a panel sounds like LA pricing. It's really rather an easy process, the ticket is just deciding which of the different options/products would best suit your needs.