'61 - '63 Lincoln Continental Sedan

Steve_Mack_CT

Hi Lincoln folks. We are looking at a couple of these cars and I was wondering if this group could advise on typical problem spots to keep an eye out for with these cars.

Looking for a nice original or refurbished (as opposed to completely restored, which I think would be unusual) car; not really looking for a project although I would be willing to tend to a few odds and ends, ready to enjoy would be best. I might consider a '64 - '65 but really prefer the original lines of the '61 - '63 cars.

While we have a couple of these lined up to see, any leads, particularly in the Northeast would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Personally, I prefer the 1962 Continental. I like the grille better than the '61 and the '62 trunk lid is more streamlined than the '63. The biggest down side is the 14" wheels, but 15 " wheels from later models bolt right on.

There was a time that I owned 5 1962 Lincolns: 1 daily driver, 2 parts cars, 1 convertible sedan, and 1 convertible sedan project car.

The '64-5 Lincolns are OK, but I like the curved window glass of the earlier cars better.

post-31768-14314297418_thumb.jpg

Steve, as you probably know these cars' structuraly intregerty depends upon the frame rails which are welded to the floor pans so rust can be a huge problem. Just look in the usual places, wheel wells, wheel arches etc. Also trunk panels are prone to rust and are extremely expensive, if you can find a good one. Outside of that remember these cars are really complicated machines - amazing to me that they were built on an assembly line! My '61 convertible runs and drives and the top works. It's no show car at this point but at least I was able to find one that I could afford. Look for these early convertibles to sky rocket in the next 3 to 5 years, in my opinion.

Guest 65Starfire

The MEL engines are strong but notorious for having valves stick after sitting. Check compression. Also the crank mounted eaton PS pumps are getting hard to find good cores on so make sure it is good with clear fluid.

Brakes are drum but easily converted to 2 circuit discs. This is a heavy car and if you are not going to show it definitely upgrade the brakes.

Good luck!