1937 Painted running boards?

Guest GeorgeCagle

Guest GeorgeCagle

According to "The Inside Story of 1937 Studebakers", "The tremendously strong steel running boards, rubber mat and all, match the body color". I have never seen a '37 Studebaker with painted running boards. All of the illustrations in "The Inside Story" show painted running boards. When did Studebaker decide to go to black running boards? My copy of the book is 4829F. Does anyone have a later version which shows black running boards? Is there any documentation from Studebaker that says to leave the running boards black?

post-31751-14314297301_thumb.jpg

post-31751-143142973008_thumb.jpg

GC: My copy also shows painted running boards. I think that is an advertising thing, not a reality. Anyway, we should defer

to Richard Quinn on this one. Richard? In addition, my Drs. Coupe has been in the family since brand new and when I got it,

original paint, etc. it had black rubber running boards. For me, unless RQ says different, that is enough to settle it.

George; I am familiar with that claim but really do not believe it ever happened! I suspect that in the 30-60 day lead time (from the time the text was approved and the assembly lines started) that a decision was made to go with black rubber running boards. Incidentally Studebaker did offer polished stainless strips on the running boards in mid model run. Rare but I have seen them. See attachments.

post-30776-143142973324_thumb.jpg

post-30776-143142973321_thumb.jpg

post-30776-143142973348_thumb.jpg

Guest GeorgeCagle

Thanks for the responses. I love the stainless strips on the running boards. I have never seen that before. Anyway, I am glad that Studebaker switched to non-painted running boards. I don't thing that paint would have held up very well over rubber in a high wear area like that.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 98blackss

My '37 President State has the stainless strips on the running boards. I do not know if I have all the strips and a few are bent up but not beyond the realm of straightening.

TJ

Guest 98blackss

Its been a while since I've posted but my car is the '37 Coupe President State that I pulled out of a field in Kansas last April. The SS strips are all off the running boards. My running boards have tons of holes in them for the mounting of the strips.

TJ

post-100015-143142999309_thumb.jpg

post-100015-143142999302_thumb.jpg

post-100015-143142999305_thumb.jpg

Guest 98blackss

Its a long term project for me.... I was talking to Tom in another thread who recently had his engine rebuilt by a shop/guy in a suburb of Chicago. I am going to contact him about doing mine. I had considered doing my own work on the engine but given the rarity and uniqueness of it I will let some one who has done a few do it. I just wish I could be there helping and learning while the work is being done... I am working on the body one step at a time.

TJ

• 5 weeks later...
Guest 98blackss

drdon,

Yes! I am in the Castle Rock/ Denver area. Where are you? I have not disassembled anything on the motor/trans yet except for pulling the spark plugs and adding an 1/8th cup of oil. Amazing how smooth she turns! She is also in Reverse but the clutch and gear shift are "frozen." My main focus is to get the body off the frame so I can get to the mechanicals easier.

I would live to meet up with another Studebaker enthusiast(s). I show my 2002 35th anniversary Camaro and the 1998 Chevy Truck I built at meets, cruises, and shows but all those are newer stuff so I am missing some of the older stuff. I do regularly attend the Golden Cruise.

I am now a member of the ASC #007477R exp. 2/28/2018 and the SDC #A017753R exp. 2/2018

TJ