Stromberg D3 kit

akroemer

• 4 weeks later...
I would like to rebuild the Stromberg D3 on my '31 Imperial CG. I would appreciate any suggestions on where to find the kit and any rebuilding instructions. Thanks. Al

You need a kit for a DX-3. I bought one a few years ago from a man who custom makes them. I'll see if I can find where/who I ordered a kit from and get back to you. He said he owned the rights to Stromberg carburetors. timandjuliawolfe1@roadrunner.com

Tim - thanks for the reference.

Al - we still offer kits (we also offer advice).

The CG should have the two-barrel DD-3 (one of the "2"'s is hidden under the vent).

Before I offer the advice, please remember that we no longer restore carbs, so NOT "grinding my own ax".

This carburetor requires several special tools just to disassemble the carb and not break it.

So the advice is: unless you are an experienced carburetor technician, AND have access to a good machine shop (lathes and milling machines), this carb is best left to a professional. And pick the professional carefully. Very few will have done one of these, and can easily turn an expensive restoration into a very expensive restoration. Don't be afraid to ask questions of the professional.

Maybe the gentleman whose username on this forum is edinmass will see this thread. He would be a good candidate to do the work.

If you wish, call, and we can discuss it further.

Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, for all the replies. It is indeed a 2 BBL model DD. I will certainly not undertake to do anything to it myself.

I had not realized how complicated this was going to be. I am sure it has not been touched in many years and while it seems to be functioning fine, since I pulled the manifolds to have them re-coated I thought I'd rebuild the carb while it is off the car. But given what I am seeing here, I think I'll follow the adage that if it ain't broke don't fix it. Al