1936 Dodge front door quetion and location of the frame number?

countrytravler

Are the doors from a coupe and 4 dr front sedan the same? I measured them and the measurements are the same. Seems like the B-pillar forward is the same between the 2 cars with the exception of the windshield. Windshield is 1 in shorter for the coupe? Customer has 2-36 coupes and a 4 dr sedan sitting side by side. The front doors are the same with the measurements that we did. The inside garnish molding pictured is from the sedan holding it up to the coupe door and it is the same. The outside door trim is the same. Didn't have time to pull the doors off to see if it would interchange. Even the very back window is the same as the garnish molding between the 2 cars.

Location of the frame numbers?

post-78906-143142972595_thumb.jpgThanks for the help.

post-78906-143142972505_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142972517_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142972527_thumb.jpg

post-78906-14314297254_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142972552_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142972563_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142972574_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142972585_thumb.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

According to my Dodge parts book (March 16, 1936) the coupe doors are different from any other body style. The 4 door sedan, 4 door touring and the 7 passenger share the same front door while the 2 door sedans are different. The windshields on the coupes also differ from the sedans.

• 2 months later...
According to my Dodge parts book (March 16, 1936) the coupe doors are different from any other body style. The 4 door sedan, 4 door touring and the 7 passenger share the same front door while the 2 door sedans are different. The windshields on the coupes also differ from the sedans.

2 door sedan in longer than others. Coupe and 4 dr sedan are the same in dimensions.

There is something different about coupes that doesn't scream out at a person until you come to know them better. They have some characteristics in common with pick ups in that they both maximize the load area by positioning the driver a bit further forward than sedans. The cowls are narrower, the floorboards taper more in front and the steering column uses it's own drop bracket, so that it sits a little higher than a sedan. The slightly higher steering wheel positions the driver just a little bit further forward, allowing the seat, in turn, to be placed a smidgen closer to the dash. Like me, you may have found the steering wheels in pick ups to be conspicuously high, though in time you get used to it. As you already know, both doors are the same length. Years ago, I mounted a front door off of a four door sedan on a coupe, but the top of the door stuck out about three inches along the top rear. It was a close fit elsewhere, but starting above the top hinge it began to depart and reached the largest gap at the back corner of the door. Some years later I came across a guy that was selling a sedan door and stating that it also fit a coupe. I told him about my experience and he told me that my mistake was in using the sedan door hinge halves, which were still mounted to the sedan door, mated to the coupe hinge halves, which were still mounted to the body. I remain dubious about that, though. At some point in time, I also talked with a street rodder who said that he had used a sedan door on a coupe by making some strategic cuts in the door frame and reshaping it. I suppose that if a person was desperate (and really talented), that might be a possibility. I'm sorry about the long answer, but the answer, for my part, is I don't think so, but maybe.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy
freudian mispelling (see edit history)