1927 REO fire truck trouble. Spark plugs? Throwout bearing?

carlisle1926

I'm helping a friend work on a 1927 REO fire truck with an "F"head 6 cylinder engine. The vehicle was a poorly done older restoration. The was a terrible sound coming from the clutch are and we think we it narrowed down to the clutch release bearing and we have no idea as to how to replace it. The next big issue is, I pulled the valve cover off to inspect the valves and spark plugs. I pulled the plugs and found something disturbing. The plugs were the wrong plugs and they had just been tightened until the thread bottomed out. I need to know the correct plugs to replace the wrong plugs that someone had thrown in there. Any ideas?

Guest jpizza57111

if that is a t6 engine the plugs have a pipe thread on them, champs are a23.i have used autolights in my reo they are still available and are one piece.

the factory ones are 2 piece

post-67726-14314298421_thumb.jpg Here is a sketch of the problem I'm encountering. The spark plugs currently only screw in about 1/4" inch before the threads bind. I suspect heavy carbon build up, so I know I need to chase the threads. The other issue is, even if I can get the spark plugs to seat properly against the crush washer, then the electrode is still about an inch up inside the head and the head has this odd taper at the bottom. It's as if the spark plug has its own separate combustion chamber. That seems odd. My first thought was a special spark plug was required that allowed the electrode to protrude down into the combustion chamber. My question is, is it normal for the spark plug electrode to be so far up inside?

Guest jpizza57111

thisplug dose not go to a crush collar it is a pipe thread on the plug and it is about an inch away from the cyl. i have taken a head off of my spare engine an i am going to make an adapter for a longer reach plug as i feel it will help the running ills of the t6.i made a distubutor using a early chev 6 dist.it made a major improement in starting an running.remember you need a pipe tap to chase the threads 1/2 in.