V12 Engine Interchangeability ?

Guest 40zephyr3w

Guest 40zephyr3w

I have a 1940 Zephyr 2 Window Coupe, it currently has a Flathead V8, and transmission in the car. I plan to go back to the original V12. I previously bought a 1946 V12 and engine, but had to sell the engine, but still have the transmission. Without knowing the exact details of my existing transmission behind the V8, and I do have a 46 transmission that was behind a V12. From what I can tell - the 1940-41 was a 292 ci V12. Currently there is a 1939 V12 advertised on eBay, I have been searching furiously to determine if all Lincoln V12 bellhousings are interchangeable with the transmissions. I've contacted Forever Flatheads in the past, they explained they had quite a few existing cores. So if I want an accurate V12, it'll merely cost me about 10k. ( ha! ) Any link to existing pages would be helpful. I posted pics of the car, but I do not have any pics of the existing engine or transmission. My current plans are to have the car in driveable condition in the next year or two. I will focus entirely on replacing the glass, shocks, brakes, brake lines, etc. Simply focused on making the car capable of driving around the block. This car is NEVER for sale, and since my father owned it for 40 years without being able to drive it, it is my mission to take him for a spin before time slips too far. Feel free to send me any PMs with referrals to rebuilders or parts. I just uploaded pics to my profile.

The flathead probably was bolted to the v12 tranny. Pull the floor up and you will find the serial # above the inspection plate. With minor differences any v12 will bolt back in. I have quite a selection of parts and engines if you need together and apart. M41 L/C cabriolet has a merc flathead in it and it drives just fine so get it running with that before time runs out. My 38 I inherited when dad passed away and he never drove it.

As the eBay seller was close I inspected the items he had listed. The v12 was not a '39. It came out of a 38 four door some guy is having rat rat rodded for some wreid reason. The v12 had iron heads and a four bolt carb mount with a Stromburg 3 bolt LZ scripted carb. The Columbia listed was also not a 39 as it had cable brake backing plates. It looked to be a complete rbuild. The tranny was a 38 or 39 due to the shape of the rear engine mount. We opened it up and the great sets looked good with no water in the oil. Case was totally trashed but the best deal he had in my option.

Yeah I know. But I thought it still was the best deal of the bunch seeing how much was going to be spent in restoring the other stuff. He does have other bits and pieces that someone might need. We'll just have to wait for him to list. BTW, this is the same guy who had that crazy looking 42? that had the jump seat and rear fenders on the front. That's why he purchased this stuff. He sold the car to someone else and so this stuff became surplus.

He and his son operate a small used car lot outside Knoxville, TN. He has had some very collectable 60's and 70's autos in the past from the large posters I saw hanging on the shop walls. He said he had run several of them through BJ and we know about that.

The small parts he has left are running gear stuff. No body parts that I know of as they went with the 38 four door. Also be aware that this breed of car is not his 'cup of tea' so he might not be able to tell you he has something because he doesn't know what it looks like.

His name is Clarence Thompson, his son Jason gave me his business card, cell 865-621-4012, phone 865-828-5522.

As a sidebar, I know where the 38 is as the shop has not started the rat rod process yet. My car buddy is having the same shop doing a lot of sheet metal work on his 54 Chevy truck. If there is something you need I can check and see if the owner would be willing to part with it.

One last point on engine interchangeability -- You probably won't bump into one, but the 1936 blocks are unique in that they don't have the front mounting "feet" where the engine bolts to the body, but rather weird assemblies that served the same purpose. Wouldn't do you much good. With regard to the transmission end, I believe the only outlier is the super rare '42 Liquidmatic blocks, which have very different bell housings. Again, I doubt you'd come across one.