Motometer - warning

Rogillio

A few months ago I decided to take apart my motometer radiator cap, clean it all up, polish the brass, etc. Even thing was going well until I put it back together...and best I can tell, I over-torqued the screws. The stucture broke into 4 peices. I was a so bummed. Who know this was cheap pot metal!? I sure didn't know. I took some gorilla glue and glued it back together....and ever since then I have have been watcing Ebay for a replacement. I couple of month ago I saw one that looked like a good deal, I bought it and when it came in I realized it was much smaller than mine. I re-sold it on Ebay for about what I'd paid for it san shipping.

Today I bought another one on ebay for $70. It was listed for $99 and I made an offer and the seller countered with $70 and, after double checking the dimensions, I ordered it.

From the picture, I am not sure the thermometer works in the one I am buying. The one I have works great. Any suggestions on how to get the thermometer out of the gauge without breaking it?

Anyway, this was mostly a heads-up. Don't be a dang brute like I was and ruin a peice of history.

No but I googled how to remove thermometer from motometer and found this thread.

http://forums.aaca.org/f140/boyce-motometers-223128.html

turns out I was able yo fix mine by tapping in on my workbench about 1500 times.

according to Art from at thread you have to take the crimped plug off and take it out the bottom. Glad I was able to get mine working.

I finally heard from Myer's, they have the Thermometer unit, it's the thermometer and the Brass part that attaches to the Dog Bone, but it only works if you have a re-Pop, won't work on an original cap. It cost $30 plus tax and shipping, comes out to about $35. It's in their Catalog under Accessories. I went ahead and ordered it. Thanks for the info you found.