54 Mercury Engine color

Guest 54MercMan

Guest 54MercMan

Hi,

I've been on several forums and haven't found the answer to the original 255 ci 54 Mercury engine color.

I know what the valve covers are supposed to be - I have that paint.

I know it is some shade of green, because the original engine had this paint on it. I had it overhauled and got it painted, but the color was too light. Can anyone help?

Jim Morris

Guest 54MercMan

Thanks for the tip. I was going to sent Bill Hirsh a private msg, but didn't know his username.

My valve covers are ok and I have the correct paint for them, but didn't know what the darker color green on the block was. Someone sent me a swatch of the color, but I can't find that color. (The color also was a little different though from what my old engine block seemed to be.)

I've got an original intake manifold to put on, and wanted to paint the engine (and the intake manifold) before I put it on.

Jim

• 1 month later...
Guest 54MercMan

Sorry, I now know that Bill Hirsch is Hirsch paint. Yes, I got Hirsch paint for the valve covers and air cleaner. I had looked for weeks, months for the exact color of medium green for the block to no avail. I had some of the Hirsch paint left over and had it tinted to a medium green that looked good and went with that.

Jim