Installation Hupp 20 Engine

1910Hupp

Hi this weekend I installed the Hupp engine which I had been dreading The last two attempts had taken 5 hours each and had resulted in me conceding defeat. Well this time was a breeze (no pun intended as I have installed the original Breeze ) . What I hadn't realised previously was that the torque tube when disconnected from the engine moves off to one side making alignment impossible. By chocking and moving one rear wheel only we centralised the torque tube and then we used a thin piece of wire to hold the U joint male part level and it just clicked in. Phew . I have taken the opportunity to install the new manifold and Breeze carb. Can someone tell me the thread size the holds the carb throttle stop adjustment screw in the manifold Thanks Karl

Hi Carl,

Glad you got your engine back in ok! I put mine back in (first time for me) a couple of weeks back. It was relatively straightforward - I'd worked out a way of lining the male part of the torque tube up by rolling the car (hence moving the back wheels and turning the tail shaft) back and forth small amounts to line it up. Didn't think of using wire to hold the joint up - I did this using my finger as my mate pushed the engine back on the hoist. I only narrowly got away with not losing my finger! Hope I don't have to do that job for a while but if I do, I'll be using wire!!

Cheers,

Andrew.

On my Model T, I supported the rear axle on a rolling hydraulic jack, I supported the other end of the torque tube at the proper height with an adjustable, rolling shop stool. With my right hand I used a thin open-end wrench to hold up the tail shaft and rotate it to line it up. With my left hand, I pulled the torque tube and rear axle forward and slid the tailpiece right in.

I found the thread size for the manifold carb adjustment screw. Its now 10NF24 which is the size of the tap I put through it !

Andrew I made my mate do the tail end while I rocked the flywheel back and forth. It was his idea, he suggested to me that a butcher could live with a missing finger- in fact he had already shortened one up but a Doctor (his doctor) might struggle with one missing. I didn't argue ! Karl