couple of electrical issues

Guest jonate88

Guest jonate88

I have an 88 Reatta. Finally got my CRT working the main issue I had but now i have two other problems i just can't figure out. First one is my interior lights stay on all the time. The second is my Cooling Fans don't come on when its up to temp. Like it should. Okay, I lied there are a few more issues but those are the ones I'm trying to tackle right now. Thanks.

Both the interior lights issue and the failure of the cooling fans could also be a failure of the BCM. Each is controlled by an "output" (logic controllled switch) in the BCM which in turn activates a relay that closes a circuit to supply power to the controlled device. The interior lights, cooling fans, A/C compressor, and numerous other devices operate in this fashion. If proper troubleshooting shows that the relays and associated wiring are all good, then the BCM is suspect.

KDirk

Guest Mc_Reatta

You can use the diagnostics on the CRT to help you track down where your problems lie.

Lights might be a bad switch (door jamb, headlight switch dimmer) or a bad splice under the passenger's seat too. BCM Inputs can show proper switch operation.

Fans could be fuse or relays too. Can check out by using BCM Override to trigger the fan relays and see if they're working and the fans run.

Guest jonate88

I wasn't sure if the dimmer switch controlled the interior lights. I know the dimmer switch little plastic nipple is broken but I can use a tiny screwdriver to slide it even though it does nothing. The fans don't come on until 213°F? That seems kinda high. I let it get around 200 and got worried that they didn't come on. I can jump the fan and make them come on and the BCM is new.

Guest jonate88

I just recently discovered all the CRT can do. Is there someplace I could get instructions on how to do a BCM override in diagnosis mode and what codes mean what.

I just recently discovered all the CRT can do. Is there someplace I could get instructions on how to do a BCM override in diagnosis mode and what codes mean what.

You really NEED a Field Service Manual (FSM) as the Reatta is just too complex to troubleshoot with that manual. The good news is that the manual is available online as well as in hard copy form. I prefer the hard copy for actual work. To get the manual online you have to register online http://reatta.net/docs_signup.html. Once you are registered, you can then download the FSM.

As for a hard copy, they show up on eBay from time to time. I just find that the hardcopy is FAR easier to use as the manual does a LOT of crossreferencing between pages. I have used the soft copy to print individual pages of interest to use rather than trying to actually use the FSM while working on the car, so BOTH are invaluable resources.