53-56 harmonic balancer pulley

tompett

• 3 weeks later...

Have I missed a price boom in the old car business?

I finally got mail from two persons offering the pulleys. One is asking $ 200,- for one pulley shipping incl, another wants £ 400 for a set of two, shipping incl. The pulleys only, not the balancer. I think it is way too expensive. Tom

So you just need the two pulleys. Here is what I have, How 'bout $75 for two pulleys incl shipping (to York PA)

The reason you are getting what seems to be inflated prices is probably because they are getting scarce. They went to the crusher on the 322 that was in the 54-56 Buicks. You don't see these cars in junkyards anymore. In fact you don't see the junkyards anymore.

excuse the picture, the light is from my flashlight.

post-31987-143142989271_thumb.jpg

MrEarl,

I was hoping to hear from you.

Appreciate your offer, and would like to buy the parts. There is a spacer between the pulleys I believe, which I also need. Yes, almost every salvage yard around Harrisburg/Hershey area are gone now, wish I have picked more parts in the 90's from Glenn C /Gene R private farm, Hofferts, Ed Luke's, Baughman's, Beck's, Mayers, Klingers and other yards in PA.

Please send a mail and let me know how to pay, and I'll give you my shipping address in PA.

Greetings from Norway,

Tom P

1954-72R

1954-76R

1953-76X

Tom,just an update.....uhhh, are you sure you don't want the harmonic balancer too? ;) Having a bit of a problem separating the spacer and bottom pulley from the balancer. Top one no problem. The bottom one says it has been with the balancer for 61 years and has grown rather attached to it. I am soaking in tranny fluid and acetone mix overnight and will try again tomorrow.

post-31987-143143003892_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143143003896_thumb.jpg

Greetings some balancers have the first pulley riveted on the balancer and need the heads ground off(hard to see if your not expecting it. Sometimes the aluminum/dicast spacer gets welded on from corrosion of the different metals(I hate when that happens!)

Tom,just an update.....uhhh, are you sure you don't want the harmonic balancer too? ;) Having a bit of a problem separating the spacer and bottom pulley from the balancer. Top one no problem. The bottom one says it has been with the balancer for 61 years and has grown rather attached to it. I am soaking in tranny fluid and acetone mix overnight and will try again tomorrow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]298386[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298385[/ATTACH]

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Thank you Greg, apparently I have one or the other of the cases you described and I am suspecting it may have rivets. I saw about five or so very faint 1/4 inch circles in the top of the pulley and wondered what they were. But they are dead flush or even indented a bit into the metal. So the question is do I try and grind into the space to relieve these "rivets" or just leave attached and let the balancer go with the pulley's, as that is the way it came from the factory? I am going out of town tomorrow so it will be soaking for probably a couple days. This is a southern car and does not have that much rust and other parts have been no problem but I hear ya about what happens when two different metals get together for 60 years.

post-31987-143143004076_thumb.jpg

Tom, here is the door handle control, please let me know if this is what you need. post-31987-143143004072_thumb.jpg

I would personally send the whole assembly and try and come up with an equitable payment solution, rather than doing any further damage IF possible.
further damage
no damage done thus far. But had I let my temper out from between my legs there could have been.... But you're right, I really don't want to start grinding on the pulley. Will see how it look after soaking a couple of days.

MrEarl, here is a Picture of two balancers. post-31371-143143005192_thumb.jpgThe one to the left have rivets and will not seperate. To the right, NOS balancer 0.659-1165934 with similar pulley that I am looking for, which I believe is -1165935. But both balancers have the same casting nmbr; 1166196

post-31371-143143005162_thumb.jpgHere is the type I am looking for. If you measure the axle from the collar to the end, should be around 1 1/4". ( not the ones with length 1 7/16" or the Shorter 1 1/16" axle).

Hope this information makes sense.

Tom P

Tom, looks like I struck out on these two parts. The pulley is riveted to the balancer. The door control axle from collar to end is 1 1/16"

If not raining tomorrow I will check some other cars.

Wow. I learned something new. Thanks Tom

Yea Mike, me too....... a bunch

Guest 53 Roady

Our 53 has no balancer, just a pulley. I was told that this meant an early model. It runs very smoothly. When did the balancers come on line?

Pat

Our 53 has no balancer, just a pulley. I was told that this meant an early model. It runs very smoothly. When did the balancers come on line?

Pat

I am not sure exact when the balancer was offered, but page 6 in the 53 Service Bulletins starting January 31 shows that they replace the pulley With the balancer.

TomP

post-31371-143143015308_thumb.jpg

Edited by tompett (see edit history)

Guest 53 Roady

Thanks Tom. I think that means the motor was assembled before Jan 31,1953. Is your thought that the balancer will increase bearing life or merely get rid of the whoosh?

Pat

Hi,

well - I just like the idea with the harmonic balancer, and since I am rebuilding the engine I will go for the NOS beauty in the original Box. (It is hard to throw away the old, empty boxes!) I have never driven this car/engine, looong time project now moving a little forward.

TomP