1955 power steering

buick5563

FWIW, if you don't want to tackle this on your own, I recommend Lares.

I emailed Dan at Lares Corp to rebuild one and he gave me an absolutely fair price. The two way shipping and my need to get a customer's car out quickly was the deciding factor in me rebuilding first one for a client, then this one for myself.

Keep in mind that the steering pump pulley for an AC car is unique. It is dished out to sit farther forward than a non-AC car. It runs off the forward-most of the three fan belts. The pump is identical, but the pulley is unique - and hard to find...

Hey Mike, do you think there will be enough HP for both the A/C and the power steering? I noted the 2 bbl carb, and am just wondering

I've been driving mine with the power steering belt removed (due to leaks on both pump and power cylinder)

There is a ​noticeable increase in acceleration... That's one reason I haven't got around to fixing the leaks, I like the way it drives better without ​power steering

I loved driving my Special without it on the highway, but I have really grown to appreciate power with my wagon and other cars I have had in my shop recently.

My car won't be affected by the extra drag.

(322)

:)

I'm sure it will have plenty more get up and go WITH PS

Than my heavy Roadmaster has WITHOUT PS .... ;-)

The end cover bolts and the O-rings at all of the tubes. I am hoping that, while it is a messy proposition, all of this can be sealed while in the car.

I just discovered my problem.

The steering pump rotor ring (flat piece painted black in my picture above) is supposed to be counterclockwise from the BACK of the pump.

Dang.

Oh well, at least I don't have to pull the column again. (I hope)

Hey Mike, do you think there will be enough HP for both the A/C and the power steering? I noted the 2 bbl carb, and am just wondering

there shouldn't be no problem, a four barrel engine is only running on two barrels 99% of the time, until you stick your foot into it. 1954 pontiacs with only 127 horses had both power steering and factory a/c available.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci

This setup works if you can't find a pulley, btw.

for clarification: This setup works if you can't find a correct A/C pulley, btw.

Cool!!! I was wondering if loosing the thickness of the hacksaw blade would possibly not let the nut tighten down, but no problem eh? Mark up another one for Mikey-ingenuity.

edit) But crap, now my stash of "unique and hard to find" A/C power steering pulleys aren't worth any more than a regular ol pulley. Thanks "buddy". :rolleyes:;)

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

for clarification: This setup works if you can't find a correct A/C pulley, btw.

Cool!!! I was wondering if loosing the thickness of the hacksaw blade would possibly not let the nut tighten down, but no problem eh? Mark up another one for Mikey-ingenuity.

edit) But crap, now my stash of "unique and hard to find" A/C power steering pulleys aren't worth any more than a regular ol pulley. Thanks "buddy". :rolleyes:;)

That's right Lamar. If you want your car judged, you should still buy one of the Mr. Earl expensive versions since the dish is different.

there shouldn't be no problem, a four barrel engine is only running on two barrels 99% of the time, until you stick your foot into it. 1954 pontiacs with only 127 horses had both power steering and factory a/c available.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci

Chevrolet used the Buick 322 with a 2 barrel in the medium duty truck (was it 1957?)

Would I be correct in saying that, the 2 barrel would have more ​torque ?

Chevrolet used the Buick 322 with a 2 barrel in the medium duty truck (was it 1957?)

Would I be correct in saying that, the 2 barrel would have more ​torque ?

I think you would be correct in saying that the 322 nailhead had more torque than the Chevrolet 283. The 322 was replaced in the Chev trucks in 58 with the 348 but continued to be used in their busses thru 59.

Bigger primaries, so maybe a little quicker off the line, all other things equal.

Shoot, I have added all of the other options to this little baby Buick, I might as well add a four barrel.

I might can help with that.:)

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

As you need to learn, I am not a fast or good mechanic. The whole column will have to come out again.

Not happy right about now.

Please take the time to document this so we can all learn from it. I bench tested mine but who knows what will happen when it is on the road. Mud

I will Mud. I ran mine with a drill, but didn't have your fancy pants gauges. It just "felt right". That's right. I'm a mechanic by feel. :) I also don't know why it is leaking gear oil from the bolts. I sealed them when I rebuilt the gear, then I pulled them today and wrapped em with Teflon tape and it is still leaking.

I pulled the pump and reversed the center section so the arrow pointed the right direction. I was asked by Willie earlier how I checked it that way. I checked it before I rebuilt the pump. Honestly, the worst thing about this is that I hate tranny fluid because of the feel and gear oil because of the smell.

Oh, and I don't remember if I mentioned this, but I rebuilt one for a customer at the same time, and his worked.

At least I got some bondo spread today in my convertible.

Oh yeah. YES I am working on two of my cars right now. I don't have overhead. Shut up. Don't let my wife hear you saying how lucky I am.

;)

Guest tommyduncan

Dang...

You had me feeling pretty confident about attempting this myself.

I'm sure you'll get it figured out. Let us know what happens!

The 2bbl vs 4bbl "torque" issue can be tricky. Many 4bbls had a little "stronger" camshaft specs than the similar 2bbl motors. Is affected by the size of the primary throttle bores, too.

In the early '70s, a Chevy 350 2bbl used the 1.69" throttle bore (i.e., big) Rochester 2bbl carb. First time I drove one, I noticed how it ran better than our '69 Chevy CST-10 with a 350 4bbl and 3.73 rear axle ratio. Seemed much more eager at any throttle increase. In almost all cases, it ran easier and "as hard" as its QuadraJet companion, up until about 4000rpm, in normal driving, even in a crewcab pulling a drag race car on a trailer.

In my '70 Skylark 350 2bbl, the 2bbl (small 1.44" throttle bore) seems to run similar to its QuadraJet 4bbl companion, up to about 3000rpm WOT. Just a nice-driving car with the base 2bbl 350 V-8.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

The 2bbl vs 4bbl "torque" issue can be tricky. Many 4bbls had a little "stronger" camshaft specs than the similar 2bbl motors. Is affected by the size of the primary throttle bores, too.

In the early '70s, a Chevy 350 2bbl used the 1.69" throttle bore (i.e., big) Rochester 2bbl carb. First time I drove one, I noticed how it ran better than our '69 Chevy CST-10 with a 350 4bbl and 3.73 rear axle ratio. Seemed much more eager at any throttle increase. In almost all cases, it ran easier and "as hard" as its QuadraJet companion, up until about 4000rpm, in normal driving, even in a crewcab pulling a drag race car on a trailer.

In my '70 Skylark 350 2bbl, the 2bbl (small 1.44" throttle bore) seems to run similar to its QuadraJet 4bbl companion, up to about 3000rpm WOT. Just a nice-driving car with the base 2bbl 350 V-8.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

In my teens, (1970's) I noticed what you have described. The two cars were a 1969 Chevrolet Kingswood wagon 350 cid 4v quadrajet. The other car was a 1970 Impala coupe with 350 cicd 2v Rochester. Neither was equipped with a tach. But, the differences in driving the two cars were much as you described. (That was the basis of my comment above)