Firewall pad for 37 Packard 120

pint4

Has anyone installed one of these firewall pads in their Packard? Do they look original in appearance or do they need to be covered to provide an original appearance to the interior? I am thinking of buying one for my car to reduce the heat and noise? Would appreciate knowing what you thought about them.

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Packard-115-120-Firewall-Pad-/331409827764?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d2990a7b4&vxp=mtr

Thanks,

Bob

Email: pint4@new.rr.com

Guest bkazmer

ABS seems a bad choice. It's easy to thermoform, but is a poor sound deadener. It's easily embrittled (vinyl dye chemical effects?).

It does say there is a 3/8" thick layer of sound/heat reducing material? I think the ABS is to give it shape. I don't know much about ABS and it's properties. Could they have put in an additive to prevent the embrittlement? Lots of dollars if it doesn't work or worst yet doesn't look period correct.

Maybe the pad is turned around in the photo, but it looks like it is for the engine side of the cowl wall. Cowl wall pads on these Packards are on the inside of the car. Suggest you look on the Packard Club site and in the club's publications for vendors advertising these pads.

(o{}o)

Since the ebay item is from Southern Calif, no idea if it is the same as those supplied by Quietride out of Stockton. If not, you might also check their offerings for a firewall pad. http://www.quietride.com/catalogpdfs/packard_catalog.pdf It is also a black ABS and has a grain pattern with a thick fiberglass insulation on the back. I installed one of Quietrides in my 47 and fit was decent. No major problems but did have to trim and open a hole or two a tad -- nothing serious. Option holes are all left closed so you will have to cut those open as needed for your specific application. All in all I am quite pleased. It is a bit more glossy than the stock cardboard but is mostly hidden. On mine the lower exposed part is carpeted so the ABS was no big deal.

Here is a comparison of the 47 old and repro before all the option holes were done.

post-43944-143142961318_thumb.jpg

Edited by HH56 (see edit history)