Looking for feedback keep original interior or replace

Guest honest03060

Guest honest03060

New to forum looking for feedback. Have a 71 Buick GS all original. The main seams on the split bench seat are letting go.

The Vinyl thread holes and backing all look good. 1 upholsterer back east told me to always save the original interior if possible (and this is possible).

Out here on the west coast 2 upholsterers have told me (without seeing it) to get rid of it, if the threads are gone the vinyl is too....

I prefer to keep original but willing to look at legendary interior if that makes more sense....

Thoughts?

Vinyl will dry out. It could continue to rip after seams are replaced. Legendary Interiors are spot on and new materials. I would definitely recommend getting a price from them as part of your research on what to do.

Take the seat out and simply have an upholster remove the area in question, hem it back up then reinstall.

However, before you do this, it is best to Treat all your vinyl with this first:

http://www.atmosferasmuebles.com/catalogos2014/303-Pamphlet-TechFacts-2009.pdf

Have used it for a number of years and it has proven itself many times. Clean your vinyl using a distilled water and light titration added of orange citrus spray cleaner. Just take the spray bottle lid off and pour about a 2 table spoons of it into a quart of distilled water. Then follow up by using a clean cotton rag and a new container of distilled water. Work in small areas then move on until the entire vinyl areas are cleaned. Then apply the 303 on a rag and rub it into the vinyl working again in small areas. Note: This 303 does not evaporate so you have to use a new clean rag to rub it off as soon as you have applied it and worked it into the vinyl. Do not let it sit for any length of time i.e. 10 minutes or so and do not work in the sun. Do all of this in the shade or in the garage.

The vinyl will be surprisingly rejuvenated.

I would not wait and watch the original upholstery go south if you can save it now. Original is always best and newer is never better just newer.