Did I mess something up?

Guest 49 buick

Guest 49 buick

Was doing some general maintain on my 49 Buick and I started the car without the air filter on. When I revved the RPMs it would gasp and sputter (never had this issue before). Turned it off, tried to restart it and now it won't fire. I'm new to this and learning, it is possible I messed something up by running it and trying to restart it without the air filter?

Guest buickkuhn

My 41 Buick special was tuned with the oil bath air cleaner on , and would also spit and sputter with the air cleaner off .I would put the air cleaner back on then try to start it as normal - go from there . Otherwise you may have a chance the points fried out at that time - not related to having air cleaner off . Good luck

Are you getting current to the points? Check with a multi-meter or a test light. Then:

Remove the Distributor cap, rotate the engine so that the points are closed,

Forgive this if I'm incorrect, but from the sound of your question it appears that you might be asking for simplified technical help to diagnose if you are getting spark, and how to prove or disprove. If I'm wrong, then maybe this will help someone else.

1. turn on the ignition, and

2. use a plastic (or other non-metallic probe, like a popsicle stick) to open the points -

3. check to see if there is a tiny spark

4. Use your points-file (or your wife's emery board - but don't let her catch you) to clean both sides of the points

5. when you do get a spark, then rotate the engine to where the points open to their maximum

6. Check to see that the gap (opening) is approximately .016" (sixteen thousandths of one inch) about the thickness of an old-fashioned matchbook cover - or a good quality business card

7. replace the rotor and cap

8. using an INSULATED pliers, remove and hold the end of the sparkplug wire about an inch from a bolt which is grounded on the engine and have someone turn on the ignition and crank over the engine

9. you should see a spark jump to the bolt - in which case you have electricity - so then check for fuel to the carburetor

So what "general maintain" were you doing?. I usually stuff a rag in the carb when I'm working on the engine without the cleaner on. One day I forgot all about it and "started" the car. Acted pretty much like yours did......................Bob

None of my Buicks have oil bath air cleaners.or for that matter any of the other cars. However, I believe that there should be no significant difference in engine performance either with or without the air cleaner. If there is, the air cleaner is choking the engine and that isnt good.

The old adage of "check what you did last" may well be the answer. Also, doing just one thing at a time may prevent you from painting yourself into a corner. That way if something goes wrong along the way - you know what it is immediately.

Also, doing just one thing at a time may prevent you from painting yourself into a corner. That way if something goes wrong along the way - you know what it is immediately.

The first thing you learn in science class: Change only one variable at a time.

Ed