A couple of cars in Eden Wisc.1913

Brad in Wisconsin

Brad, I have a good friend who is a Wisconsin license plate collector and an off-shot of the hobby is identifying antique cars by the plate number. He has the DMV records from Madison dating from 1905. Can you discern the plate number on those cars?

I will then forward the info to my friend.

A couple of machines out cruising for chicks maybe?:cool: Can anyone name them? Railroad water tower is gone progress. :)

The first Wisconsin license plate was 1905. From 1905 thru 1910 the plates were all the same, black with aluminum numbers and the letter W. There was no year put on these plates. In 1911 they started putting the year on the plate.

The number ranges: 1905--1 - 1492

1906--1493-2666

1907--2667-4147

1908--4148-6192

1909--6193-9232

1910--9233-15211

If you can read the number this will give the date of the plate. RHL

Additionally to the information The Green Dragon supplied the earlier Wisconsin 1911 plates were aluminum numbers on a black plate as well. In July of 1911 Wisconsin plates were issued with a year designation. For the remainder of 1911 the plates were green with silver numerals. License plates were no longer issued for life. The plate on the mystery car is either a 1911, 1912 (red) or a 1913 (blue). In 1914 the license plates were stamped as modern plates are.

Plates with a year designation started over with number 1 in July 1911 and January of 1912 and there after. So being able to read the vertical date on the LH side of the plate is important.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brad,

Got a deal for you.

From your photo I have:

Year of registration.

Names of vehicle owners. (2) plus a close friend.

City of owner.

Vehicle brand.

Vehicle HP.

(And often more )

I only have these capabilities for Wisconsin 1905 through 1913 and Illinois 1907 through 1910.

In return I would like a quality 5X7 photo hopefully bearing legible plate numbers.

Deal?????????????????????

Brad, this is a message from my friend Tad. I sent you a PM with his correct email address. He may also be able to provide the information on your 1912 Wisconsin plate.