Correct Seals for trunk, 37 Roadmaster

Mutt's37Buick

I'm buying seals for the trunk on the 37 Roadmaster (model 81) I'm restoring.

The suppliers all sell two seals.

* one that 5/8 x 1/8 that is evidently stuck in the gutter in the body, and

* one that is 3/4 x 3/4 with rounded top and hole down center that evidently is glued to the trunk lid.

See pictures.

1) Is it correct that I should use both of these seals on my car?

2) Is there a difference between suppliers or do they all have same quality products for seals?

Thanks

post-74328-143142955677_thumb.png

post-74328-143142955694_thumb.png

Mutt,

I am in the process of my restoration and I just went through this on the phaeton. I got the 3/4 X 3/4 from Bobs and my body man is very pleased with the way it looks like it will fit when finished. I only got the one strip so I cannot advise you about the thin one. There are other 37 Roadmaster owners out here and hopefully someone with a sedan will jump in.

R

Mutt,

I am in the process of my restoration and I just went through this on the phaeton. I got the 3/4 X 3/4 from Bobs and my body man is very pleased with the way it looks like it will fit when finished. I only got the one strip so I cannot advise you about the thin one. There are other 37 Roadmaster owners out here and hopefully someone with a sedan will jump in.

R

Thanks for the feedback.

Did you install the 3/4 x 3/4 in the channel on the body or glue it to the trunk lid?

My seals were totally dried out in my car and I cannot tell what they were attached to.

Hoping someone with a 37 Roadmaster can tell what was original to the car.

I have not been able to get to where my '37 Roadmaster 80C is stored, but when I do, I'll get some photos of the trunk weathestrip for you

Mutt,

I asked Brian DePouli for the info as he has a 38 Phaeton and Marty was away from his car at the time. Brian informed me that on his 38 the weather seal was attached to the body. My body man checked it out that way on the 37 and thought it was right. Now for the real answer, we have to wait for Marty to take a look and let us know as Martys car is origional and the answer will be right :D.

R

I hope to be able to get to our '37 Tomorrow (SUNDAY) afternoon, and will check as well as take photos. Sorry for the delay, but have been slow following surgery (healing well, and back in action soon)

OK - I got some pictures on the way to our Superbowl Party, and the answer is that there is a Rounded Seal attached to the trunk lid, AND a flat seal in the channel at the edge of the trunk of our 1937 Roadmaster 80C Phaeton (Convertible Sedan).

I also checked the rubber bumpers at the doors, and my car has all 4 doors hinged at the front so it may be different from yours. Bumper only above the wedged chrome guide.

Hope this helps, sent at Half-Time

First Pic is upper left edge of trunk

2nd is LOWER EDGE OF TRUNK LID

3rd is Lower edge of trunk at floor

4th is top of "B" Pillar where front door closes - Rubber Bumper is at top

Marty

post-54863-143142958429_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142958439_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142958449_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142958459_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

OK - I got some pictures on the way to our Superbowl Party, and the answer is that there is a Rounded Seal attached to the trunk lid, AND a flat seal in the channel at the edge of the trunk of our 1937 Roadmaster 80C Phaeton (Convertible Sedan).

I also checked the rubber bumpers at the doors, and my car has all 4 doors hinged at the front so it may be different from yours. Bumper only above the wedged chrome guide.

Hope this helps, sent at Half-Time

First Pic is upper left edge of trunk

2nd is LOWER EDGE OF TRUNK LID

3rd is Lower edge of trunk at floor

4th is top of "B" Pillar where front door closes - Rubber Bumper is at top

Marty

Thanks Marty,

Those pictures are perfect. Thanks very much for taking the time help with this information.