Body moldings questions

Cargirl

I have to admit my ignorance regarding side moldings. I have owned two previous Reattas and viewed countless cars but never realized you could order color matching body moldings till I bought my 1991. I though they were all black; black moldings look great on the car. Does anyone know how many cars came with black moldings vs paint matching moldings as a percentage? I would guess, based on my observations, that 90% of Reatta's had black moldings.:confused:

I don't have a percentage (paging Mr. Barney Eaton) but the majority had black moldings. Color matched was an option, and I believe some non-ordered stock build cars were made this way as well; certainly not all the matched molding color cars were built to order.

I prefer color matched moldings myself, just looks cleaner to my eye. Black molding works better on certain body colors, but I don't care for it on white cars at all. Since three of mine are white (and two had color marched moldings to begin with) I have kept them that way. The 'vert is red and has factory color matched moldings as well, purely by chance.

KDirk

We do not know the number split. I ask that question of people submitting their information for the database but that is not enough data to get good numbers.

In the beginning (1988) more cars had black probably because most dealers were pointed that way on the order form. They got black UNLESS they checked the color box.

By 90-91 the body color molding was much higher as the dealers learned what to order, and it was the trend in that time period to have everything possible the same color.

Most Reatta owners have an opinion and most agree that certain colors look better with black.

Been meaning to do that. It is in storage presently, and looking a bit rough as it needs some paint work and the top is shot. We are about to get a nasty cold snap here and some snow so I will not be getting out of hibernation yet. As soon as we have a decent day again, I'll snap a few and get them up here.

KDirk

I just finished reading "The Buick Reatta-The Complete History" by Duncan Smith. Except for one lone car at The Reatta Craft Centre and prototypes, all the car photos are with black molding. Reading the book gave me an idea for a vanity plate--GM 33. Maybe a little inside baseball but the people who get it would really know their Reatta's :)

Guest PontiacDude210

I too have 2 red Reattas, one with color keyed molding and one without. I think both options suit the car nicely. I've never met a truly ugly Reatta though.

Guest my3buicks

Three of my four have been color matched, you asked for a picture of a red with color match, see attached. My personal pref is body color, give the car a longer lower sleeker look, the black tends to make them look stubby

post-30591-143142954466_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143142954487_thumb.jpg

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Reading the book gave me an idea for a vanity plate--GM 33. Maybe a little inside baseball but the people who get it would really know their Reatta's :)

I have that on my Reatta. It's been moved around to several Reattas over the years. I have to explain it pretty often

post-62980-143142954716_thumb.jpg

Mirrors? Sounds like a custom paint project. You can't say you have paint matching mirrors Dave and not post a photo or two- That's just cruel!

I have two Black Reattas so that was real easy. The Red was "out" in December while I had transmission issues with the Black [now fixed]. But now it is back in storage, pics in spring. I am sure someone else has a Red with painted mirrors. I will say all red with Buick 7 spoke chrome wheels makes it a real nice looking ride.

One last story on the Red's painted mirrors. I have a young friend who works at the local Buick dealership. They allow him to "moonlight" and do small jobs on the side. I arranged for him to repaint the Hood and down to the pinstripes on the fron fender [for stone chips] and to repaint the mirrors. He said "I'll have to remove the mirrors to do that". I said "No it should be easy with them on" I thought he was just going to repaint them black so if he painted what one sees it would be easy. He thought I wanted Red so he didn't remove them, but did sand ,prime and paint them Red.

He couldn't believe how surprised and pleased I was with the result.

He did say it wasn't as hard as he thought it could be...

Interesting...I have two silver convertibles. I think the car with body color molding looks sleeker with the top down (appears to have a lower profile) while the car with black side molding has a more distinguished look when the top is up.

Dave's body colored mirrors and trim look nice to me. Below are some photos of his car I took when he was at my house.

post-52331-143142955383_thumb.jpg

(Dave's Reatta)

When I saw the 7 spoke chrome wheels on Dave's car I liked them so well I bought some for my car. This discussion has got me to thinking about painting my mirrors red.

post-52331-143142955388_thumb.jpg

(My Reatta)

post-52331-143142955376_thumb.jpg

There are photos of a very early Reatta development car with painted mirrors. We will never know the true reason they are black.... maybe the designers insisted or the bean counters showed where money could be saved.

With all cars getting black mirrors, there only needs to be one part supplied to the assembly line and in the warehouse. With painted mirrors, each color is another part number that must be controlled and that cost something.

Guest PontiacDude210
Dave's body colored mirrors and trim look nice to me. Below are some photos of his car I took when he was at my house.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]293109[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]293110[/ATTACH]

(Dave's Reatta)

When I saw the 7 spoke chrome wheels on Dave's car I liked them so well I bought some for my car. This discussion has got me to thinking about painting my mirrors red.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]293111[/ATTACH]

(My Reatta)

Now that looks good. I am tempted to do that with my color matched 90 coupe. I used to do body color door handles on the J body cars I had. Of course the Js got ugly flat black handles while the Reattas have fairly classy chrome ones.

Thanks Ronnie!

These pictures were taken the morning after my arrival at Hotel Ronnie. I had left Appleton Wi. about 4:00 am in the morning and drove straight through to Ronnie's house with a couple of stops at You Picks along the way. I was on my way to Fort Meyers Beach for a vacation with my wife [she flew as she has less vacation time then me]. I also had parts for Ronnie and McReatta as well.

Ronnie was a very gracious host, not only did he put me up [for the trip down and then my return], he backed out his other car, put mine in the garage next to his, and then just prior to these pictures, backed it out and rinsed the car off.

Truly a 5 star stay!

Guest my3buicks

I like be painted mirrors, I would guess the reason they were black with no option for body color wise that it did help with the lines of the car with the mirrors not being a focal point

While I like the look of color keyed mirrors on red, polo green and burgundy, I'll stick to black. I have 4 Reattae and two spare sets of outside mirrors, all mirrors and spares have been refinished in satin black. So, mine is a practical consideration; all are interchangeable between any of the four cars.

If I color key the mirrors on the 'vert (I'd do this on a red car but not on a white one), they are unique only to that car and if I need to replace one then it needs to be custom painted. Thanks, but I'll keep it simple. I make enough work for myself already.

I also concur with Keith that black mirror hosuings keep visual attention away from the mirrors and makes it look a bit "cleaner"

KDirk

Dave's mirrors look good with his color matched side moldings so I simulated painting my mirrors to match the body color. I'm undecided on how I like the way it looks. Do you guys like the red mirrors better on my car or do you like the black mirrors the best with the black side moldings?

post-52331-143142955672_thumb.jpg

post-52331-143142955669_thumb.jpg

Guest Corvanti
With the black molding, black without a question

agreed.:)

Ronnie, you could always paint the moldings body color! i repainted mine black - then about a week later saw a pic of K Dirk's "white" and wished i had painted mine like that...

I agree black.

I agree there is a lot of black in the front window area and one might have a valid argument to leave it black. But I think the red mirror with the red color body moldings makes it look "right" in my eyes.

But to each their own and "do" what you like.

I have two Black Reattas so that was real easy. The Red was "out" in December while I had transmission issues with the Black [now fixed]. But now it is back in storage, pics in spring. I am sure someone else has a Red with painted mirrors. I will say all red with Buick 7 spoke chrome wheels makes it a real nice looking ride.

Kitskaboodles car has red mirrors. And yes, his were custom painted. Here is a photo of his Reatta and my white one, also with body color moldings, taken a couple of years ago:

attachment.php?attachmentid=181327&d=1362579084

On mirrors, I think if the mirror is attached to the door panel, body color seems best - unless one has a really old car which wants chrome. If it is attached in the triangular area in front of the window, as the Reatta is, I could go either way.

I've decided cars with body colored side moldings look best with mirrors that match the color of the car. On my car with the black side moldings I believe the black mirrors look best. I'm going to mark painting the mirrors red off my to-do list.

Dave's mirrors look good with his color matched side moldings so I simulated painting my mirrors to match the body color. I'm undecided on how I like the way it looks. Do you guys like the red mirrors better on my car or do you like the black mirrors the best with the black side moldings?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]293136[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]293137[/ATTACH]

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Interesting...I have two silver convertibles. I think the car with body color molding looks sleeker with the top down (appears to have a lower profile) while the car with black side molding has a more distinguished look when the top is up.

Pick your pleasure.

72dpi_two-silver-reattas-g0.jpg

My white convertible came to me with color matched molding and black pin strip. When I rebuilt the body I painted them gloss black to match the GLOSS lower trim. I like shine! I think Reatta mirrors are BUTT UGLY and I tried to delete them. Long story----They take the place of old time "wind wings". I should have looked at the factory photos of a Reatta in a wind tunnel.post-59602-143142963457_thumb.jpg

post-59602-143142963472_thumb.jpg

Edited by RulesReattas
photos won't post (see edit history)