Correct 1937 Zephyr shift knob??

John_Mc

Guys, my Zephyr currently has a black ball for a shift knob. I don't think that is correct. I believe it should be a black flattened knob with a toothed ring and no markings at all - like the 1937 Ford. Is this correct?? Can anyone post a picture of what is 100% correct?

John, Keith here. Attached are several photos from my research files. I think your black ball is incorrect. The first photo is a diagram from a '37 Zephyr handbook. It looks to be a flattened black knob. The other photos are from restored cars. All show a flattened knob, same color as the dash knobs. The last photo shows all the '37 knobs I make...and a flattened grey/green shift knob. I can however use the shift mold and cast a black knob.

After I uploaded the photos they are not in the order I described. Oh well.

post-31184-143142954932_thumb.jpg

post-31184-143142954939_thumb.jpg

post-31184-143142954943_thumb.jpg

post-31184-143142954947_thumb.jpg

Hi Keith, thanks for the response. I see what you are saying and quite frankly I would like the shift knob to match the other knobs on the dash because it would have a more cohesive look but please look at the photo below taken when the car was new and it surely appears to be black to me. It's clearly more black than the knobs and steering wheel. Click on the picture and if the picture is not big enough, I'll send it directly to your email. I'm sorry that I did not realize you made shifter knobs and I ordered one yesterday from another vendor. If I'm wong about the black color, I will order one from you that matches my other knobs on the car. Yea, it's very trivial stuff to many but I'd sure like to be correct if possible.

Oh and you should be getting my check in the mail in the next day or so, can't wait to get my radio knobs. The radio works too!!!! More on that in another post.

post-51224-14314295546_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just catching up and saw this. The 1937 knob was not round but flattened, with a raised untoothed ring around it. It was painted the same color as the steering wheel. Hope this helps (with regard to the photo, sometimes the early factory shots aren't necessarily consistent with what ended up in production.)