1952 Hudson Hornet with Hand controls?

Guest wynnigurl

Guest wynnigurl

Have you seen this? Some guy in Virginia is restoring a 1952 Hudson Hornet convertible and installing hand controls to share the ride with disabled folks.

Check out the article - http://www.classicandsportscar.com/news/general-classic-car-news/hudson-hornet-to-be-rebuilt-for-disabled-drivers

There is a link at the bottom for folks who want to contribute!

Thanks!

The article focused on the hand controls yet did not show a single photo of them nor talk about their construction.

I have built hand controls for my Amphicar which has a 4 speed manual trans and for my Harley Road king as well (patent #5299652). Both were a challenge and both are equally useable by hand or foot and minimal permanent alterations were needed (sadly a single hole needed to be drilled in the Amphicar).

Early hand controls did not have the option of an automatic trans so they had to deal with a clutch. They were set up so that you pushed forward on the handle, it would progressively push the clutch pedal then the brake. I suspect that the Hudson may be much the same. It would have been nice if they included more info about them.

I don't like the push/pull type that they are using which is a personal choice. (Push to accel, pull to brake). I prefer full independent control of both pedals that my Monarch type uses. I have the same set for 33 years with probably 500k miles on them in 10 or more cars so they are very durable. I have 5 in total for my cars.

Early hand controls did not have the option of an automatic trans

Which is why Oldsmobile and their HydraMatic Drive took that market and ran after WW2. The Valiant conversions gave a lot of amputee and disabled vets their lives back. Seems Chris Ritter has a thread about the Valiant system down in the library forum, and the National Antique Olds Club's Runabouts to Rockets magazine featured a car with Valiant hand controls this past month. It's a great read, and a great thing these companies do for veterans.