Buy - Sell guidelines change

MrEarl

The AACA has made a change to their Buy/Sell ad rules to the effect that a price is no longer required, but is strongly suggested. I have made changes to the Buick Buy/Sell Guidelines accordingly. The changes are noted with a red asterisk.

http://forums.aaca.org/f117/please-read-guide-buick-buy-sell-343863.html

Edited by MrEarl
changed recommended to suggested per AACA verbiage (see edit history)

I agree with not making a selling price mandatory. We've seen many ads where people just don't know what an old car or part is worth they inherited but want to sell it at a fair price so that helps in those situations. The free market naturally sets the price. Certainly it is in a sellers best interest to post a price because the first thing buyers think when no price is listed that the price is way over the top and may not even respond.

I agree with Pete. Hiding the asking price is just a waste of time for everyone involved.

Just because the AACA does not require a price in the General Buy/Sell Section, why can't we require a price for Buicks?

+1

I get real hesitant when no price is listed as I don't want to look like a lowballer NOR do I want to offer WAY more than the seller would be happy with. Now on the other hand I do understand that some people honestly have no idea as to the value of things they have found or been given, but I think that if they can post an ad on the forums they also can do a little research and get a feel for the value.

Just my $.02... I will be happy either way :)

R

The only reason why people don't put a price in their ads is because it is so high they fear it will discourage people from responding to the ad. I skip any ad that does not post a price for this reason. If you are that proud of what you are selling, then post your price and tell us why. It will weed out those who are not willing to pay what you want. Why waste time with people who can't/won't pay your asking price. This change is NOT one for the better. If you want to ask what something is worth, the Buy & Sell is not the right venue.

Price is a SILENT SALES PERSON, I too dislike anything advertised WITHOUT the price.

This is NOT my site to control, but this is how I feel, after 40+ years in retail, well, PRICE is key to selling, getting the conversation going, and a starting point, IMHO, and this opinion comes from a guy that likes SCALLOPS, hehe.

Any seller can seek out price points, the net is full of info to help someone do such.

Dale in Indy

I would never think of advertising any item for sale without a price. Even with a Ebay auction the starting bid is my happy spot. What is the first question? How much is it?

So I sit here with my personal investment in a computer and monthly cost to maintain a DSL or satellite connection through a network tying together servers, switches and various up links until a digital image scrolls across someone else's investment in a computer and connectivity displaying a whispered "The price is a secret."

Oh, I am thinking about selling the '60 Electra, '86 Park Convert, '94 Impala SS, and '48 Packard in the spring. Any questions?

Bernie

I can't figure out what all the fuss is about.

Someone advertises a widget for sale but don't list a price. If you are interested, you contact them and ask how much is that widget? If you like the price you buy, if you don't, you move on.

If you are interested in the widget but upset because no price, you ignore the post and move on.

If you aren't interested in the widget with no price, ignore the post and move on.

if the price is there i can see if it is in my price range or not. i dont waste his time or mine. I still like Mr. Earls advice to put your city & state under your join date. again if it is to far away I pass, if close I will call.

FUSS,,,,, well most people prefer that the price is listed, I don't call that so hard to relate to.

In my humble opinion, and I would bet most others agree, that when you advertise any item you need to tell the WHOLE story. That would be, WHAT YOU HAVE FOR SALE, WHERE IT IS LOCATED, THE DISCRIPTION, AND THE PRICE.

How hard is that to understand? Such is good for all parties, seller, and possible buyers.

Dale in Indy

P.S. Just wondering what transpired that caused the site to make this policy change, do feel it will bring on board NEW members, or what?

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

My world must be based on a slower clock than everyone else's. I'll always take the time to ask. If it's too high, I'll pass. No loss. If the price is good, I'll bye. Gain.

If I don't call and it was a good price, then I lose. I'd rather question the seller anyway than to take what's written as gospel.

I guess that very few people here ever go to local auctions because it would be a waste of time. I attended an auction in a small southeastern Kansas town two years ago. Five hours round trip. The guy had a bunch of NOS Riviera parts. I was practically the only person there interested in the Buick parts, everyone else was there for the tools and farm equipment. If I would not have gone because no prices were listed, I'd have been the world's biggest loser. I went and came home with a big grin on my face. Found parts I needed - NOS 63/64 Riviera tail pan in the factory box for $55; 6 cast wheel covers for $3.00 each; a NIB cross flow muffler for $20 - and additional parts to sell. Spent a total of $155 and could barely fit everything in the hatch with the rear seats down. I'm glad that you're not calling; it means that I'll have less competition when it comes to haggling.

Ed

Is the real reason for the rule change just recognition there has been little or no will to enforce the prior rule? I don't buy it that a seller who doesn't know how to price an item is somehow going to learn once the item is posted.

Or is the intent to open the door for bidding? That will be nice--an online auction with less transparency than ebay!

Good luck!

I occasionally list a car without a price for a variety of reasons, but in truth, all that does is encourage everyone and his sister to ask what the price is, and few of them can afford it. Dreamers, scammers, and tire-kickers will fill your IN box with requests for information, low-ball offers, and almost angry demands for the price. They'll waste hours of your time,. The moment I change a listing and add a price, all that nonsense stops. It's for this same reason that whenever I run an eBay auction, I also put a Buy It Now price on there to at least give people an idea where the reserve lies. Otherwise I spend my days answering the same questions over and over: "What's the reserve, what will it take to buy it?"

If you've got tons of free time and like saying the same thing over and over to irate people, by all means, skip the price. Otherwise, put a price on it and find a real buyer.

Here is the deal folks. Most of the problems come from new users who have not read the Buick Buy/Sell Guidelines which alone in fact does irritate me. However it does not call for some of the rude responses that I have seen thrown back at them from some users, primarily AACA, leaving them feeling belittled and leaving a bad impression of the culture of the forum. And while I personally have not had to handle that many, there are lots of Reports (Reports are what happens when you click on that little triangle with a ! in it at the bottom of each post) that come to the Moderators pointing out that yet another post has been made without a price and the mods have to act on it.

Please note also that the term for the Buick forum is Guidelines, Buick Buy/Sell Guidelines not hard rules. So in effect nothing much has been changed in the Buick Buy/Sell Guidelines. But thanks to Willie and Matt, I have added some new language to the Guidelines related to pricing. Check it out. http://forums.aaca.org/f117/please-read-guide-buick-buy-sell-343863.html I think it will get the point across...if anyone ever reads it that is...

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

I saw the topic with the title "New Member Retention" and wondered if new members had a memory or cognitive problem. Maybe that was why they didn't put the price on their stuff.

Maybe the rules should be shorter:

Bernie

There is discussion of this going on in the AACA Buy/Sell forum and as this issue began there it may be worth making you comments there also. http://forums.aaca.org/f119/notice-buy-sell-posting-changes-387218.html

Personally I am for pricing being required but my mommy always told me when I went to Johnnies house to spend the night I should abide by their house rules, so that is what I am trying to diplomatically do here...to an extent...

oh and thanks for everyone's thoughts and opinions and maintaining civility about it all.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Thanks for all you do, Lamar. I totally understand that we all have to play by the house's rules. Like it or not, it's the AACA's sandbox and while we may not like all of their decisions, I realize that for the most part, such changes always come from the right place (that is, to minimize the number of people that have a bad experience with the AACA in any of its forms). No point in beating up our friend MrEarl over it, it's not his call. He's just doing his job and thank you for that!

I didn't see anyone making a big issue or threatening anyone over the policy change, other than Smithbrother that is LOL. Just a few of us discussing the change and our approval or our disapproval. I didn't even see anyone threatening to leave the forum or the AACA over this. Their sandbox, their rules. Lamar is one of the most fair moderators of any of the forums on which I participate.

- Price -Strongly suggested. In other words, if you are lonely and are posting without a price just to get someone to email you with requests for information, low-ball offers, and angry demands for the price, then fine, skip the price. Otherwise put a real price on it and find a real buyer. *

Well done sir.

Why not consider a forum sub-forum for "what is it worth"? The reason most don't post a price is either they are looking for an auction site, with many "bidding" on their car. This is not "THAT" site. Or, they don't know what it is worth.

Current rules state that you cannot tell someone that whatever it is they are selling is not worth what they are asking, even if you are nice and educated about it.

Would be nice if the moderators would just "moderate". Generally, the population will try to guide and help anyone who asks. There is no place in the buy/sell area for the "if you have to ask, you obviously cannot afford it" nor price bashing. BUT, guiding someone in the "what's it worth" section would keep the buy/sell section what it is intended to be.

Whatever the decisions, moderators should moderate, and not wait for someone else to "flag" a post. You cannot tell me that the only time they read posts are when someone flags them.

Mr. Earl is pretty attentive to the posts in our section of the forum and anything out of hand that starts, is usually nipped in the bud just as quickly.

Off the soapbox Mr. Whitaker......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I'm going to TACKLE him, and spray SCALLOPS all over his face, Mr. Earl that is, hehe

Dale in Indy

Say Dale, I think he would like it better if you gave him a 1954 Buick Grill Grin. ;) Dandy Dave!

How about a pop-up window that appears when you try to open a new thread in "Sell" which links to Forum Rules and at the bottom there would be a check box which you must check "I agree" before you can continue posting a new thread. This may force new posters to read rules.Unfamiliarity seems to be the biggest problem. Those who are familiar with the rules/guidelines don't appear to be the problem with pricing and location.

Then they could scroll to the bottom and check the box without reading like most of us do anyway!:rolleyes:

How about a pop-up window that appears when you try to open a new thread in "Sell" which links to Forum Rules and at the bottom there would be a check box which you must check "I agree" before you can continue posting a new thread. This may force new posters to read rules.Unfamiliarity seems to be the biggest problem. Those who are familiar with the rules/guidelines don't appear to be the problem with pricing and location.

:rolleyes:

Another great idea!

Then they could scroll to the bottom and check the box without reading like most of us do anyway!:rolleyes:

Nice, TJ55

I never respond to any ad that has no price listed because I've been embarrassed a couple of times when I used to respond to them, only to find out it was beyond my budget. I'm sorry the AACA has made this change.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

That's no reason to be embarrassed.

They should advertise a price, it's their piece. They should know what it's worth. or., what they'll take for it.

Dandy, I don't know, seems I read recently on this site that a poster said, "THEY ARE UGLY GRILLS".

As a former five fo owner, I don't agree, but then, I sprayed SCALLOPS on my two-door Century.

THINKING,

Dale in Indy

Ugly??? Death to them that said that. Thththththth. Me and Mr. Earl would agree. Sweepspears and all. We really have to get together and talk at one of these meets. Not planning on Springfield, But the Penn meet looks promising.Dandy Dave!